No announcement yet.

The HW Division making big comeback !!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
    David Haye, Steve Cunningham to instantly name 2 others. And the list could continue.

Consider that Norton lived in the time before training specificity and "other things"

And consider Norton doesn't "LOOK" as athletic as certain other HW's.

Important^

Imagine what fans today would say about Norton would he bring such a record to our times!
    David Haye hasn't fought in years and was gassing after 4 rounds vs Chisora, he can hardly go 12 let alone 15.

Steve Cunningham is in good shape, he's certainly ripped. Not sure I'd call him an established heavyweight since he's only fought at the weight a couple of times. and he also comes from a similar army type background as Norton.

Norton looked pretty ripped to me. But from a guy who thinks Mormeck would beat Foreman I honestly don't care much for your opinion.

So which others?

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
      The HW division is absolutely stacked atm...

Wladimir Klitschko
      David Haye (assuming comeback)
      Bermane Stiverne
      Chris Arreola
      Kubrat Pulev
      Deonatay Wilder
      Tyson Fury
      Bryant Jennings
      Carlos Takam
      Alexander Povetkin
      Mike Perez
      Dereck Chisora
      etc etc etc

Tell me when there has been a time when this many guys in the top 15 have been so good+tough+hard to beat at HW?

Probably never!
      thanks for the laugh LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
        David Haye hasn't fought in years and was gassing after 4 rounds vs Chisora, he can hardly go 12 let alone 15.

Steve Cunningham is in good shape, he's certainly ripped. Not sure I'd call him an established heavyweight since he's only fought at the weight a couple of times. and he also comes from a similar army type background as Norton.

Norton looked pretty ripped to me. But from a guy who thinks Mormeck would beat Foreman I honestly don't care much for your opinion.

So which others?
        Ironically Mormeck was more athletic too.

Yeah sure, Norton was extremely athletic, that's what he had going for him exclusively.

Haye gassed out after 4 rounds?

Haye STOPPED Chisora, sorry but I can't blame him for that!

Haye has gone 12 before, rendering your point nothing less than ridiculous.

And it's been argued out completely many times before with you that the stamina requirements to go 15 rounds as opposed to 12 is very negligible firstly, and secondly takes no account of muscle weight and explosiveness of performance which Norton had less of and Haye has in abundance.

And I never said Mormeck would beat Foreman.

I said that Mormeck would be among the best opponents Foreman would have ever faced in the 70's, if not the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
          thanks for the laugh LOL!
          I think another fella captured it above.

Not since the 90's have we seen so many tough big guys stacking the division.

I stand by what I said resolutely.

If you cannot see the strength of the division, it's your loss!

Comment

Another point to consider when we are talking athleticism comparisons of Haye and Norton...

Haye at CW finished his opponents quickly. You cannot punish a boxer for knocking his opponents out, claiming stamina problems!

But most importantly, like all these old time HW champs, they all LOVED to outweigh their opponents. The median opponent weight of Norton's was very low, approximately 200lbs (cruiser).

When Haye stepped up to fight REAL HW's (200+), he was not only outweighed, but outweighed MASSIVELY.

I shouldn't have to tell you that bigger guys sap the energy of smaller fighters. It's much harder to fight big men than small men. Hence divisions.

Comment

Usyk will be a beast when he moves up

Comment

The biggest problem with this era of HWs is that the top guys are not fighting each other on a regular basis. They wait out to 'earn' title shots and are inactive.

Comment

Heavyweights are on a roll right now. I am most interested in Wilder and Jennings getting their title shots.

Comment

Originally posted by RSBonos View Post
                    The biggest problem with this era of HWs is that the top guys are not fighting each other on a regular basis. They wait out to 'earn' title shots and are inactive.
                    That's not entirely true.

At the beginning of their professional career, HW boxers, like the other divisions, all fight on a very regular basis.

Prospects today like Wilder for example took a mere 4 years to compile 30 wins.

Even the champ Wladimir Klitshko, fought over 20 times in 24 months!

Of course, as the level of competition steps up, they fight less often. Because they need longer to convalesce after fights, because their is major business involved in these fights, and because much greater preparation needs to be put in to face these opponents.

Previous eras fighters (pre Tyson) did not put in nearly the work to prepare for top opposition. That is not a good method for a blood sport.

But I agree there should be some sort of HW tournament held every so often where all the top ranked big men must face off if elimination with a major prize, a bit like UFC has. That's a very good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by TotalStud View Post
                      It never really went away... People just hold it to mythical standards
                      stfu.

that sheits been deader than jose's libido.

Comment

Working...
                      X