This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
    Been thinking, if you just wanted to get stronger and retain muscular endurance does it really make sense to perform at a 8-15 rep range at all?

I have been thinking of doing like a workout A. heavy at 1-4 reps workout B. heavy 1-4 reps and then a workout A. light at 15-30 reps, workout B. light 15-30 reps.

Sound sensible if hypertrophy is not that important to you?
    You are spot on..My co worker who is a personal trainer told me to do 5 by 5's and end it with a burnout set...

Comment

• What about doing just decline or incline bench?

Would this negatively affect your flat bench press?

I have spoken online to some people on fitness groups and this well built guy in his late 50's says he has not done flat bench in years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
        What about doing just decline or incline bench?

Would this negatively affect your flat bench press?

I have spoken online to some people on fitness groups and this well built guy in his late 50's says he has not done flat bench in years.
        Tons of people don't do flat bench. I know a lot of really dedicated guys, in tremendous shape, that simply refuse. They consider it an ego workout, and overrated (I don't agree. But I don't argue with them, because what they are doing is obviously working as well). Most will do incline bench, and a lot of dumbbells.

Others don't do it because of the strain it puts on your shoulders. I've actually considered quitting it myself, because of this very reason.

Comment

• Progress

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryn0
            Reed, what has your progression been like over the last two years in terms of weight and strength? You seem to have been very consistent, most people I know who got to the gym bulk and then try to cut and can't because they are inconsistent or lazy.

My weakest areas have always been my upper legs because I hate squats and deadlifts. My calves are as thick as my upper legs because I have genetically huge calves and never train my upper legs outside of cardio (I don't have chicken legs thank god, my upper legs are just out of proportion). I've recently started deadlifting and squats just because I knew I'd have to get round to it eventually.
            Squat and deadlifts are a must (assuming you have no injuries preventing you from doing so). Essential for building size and strength. I don't know why anyone would skip those.

You could always do the leg press and leg extensions, as well. Target the quads. Once you start seeing some definition in your legs, you'll love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
              Squat and deadlifts are a must (assuming you have no injuries preventing you from doing so). Essential for building size and strength. I don't know why anyone would skip those.

You could always do the leg press and leg extensions, as well. Target the quads. Once you start seeing some definition in your legs, you'll love it.
              I used to do them, stopped because Deadlifts hurt my lower back. Started doing them again to see if some time off was the key.

I should've said I leg press and do extensions but they are no substitute for compound exercises, just really hate squats and deadlifts. Leg day is my absolute least favourite, I used to track sprint often instead just to try and justify skipping squats and deadlifts but I wasn't seen any more growth so I had to go back to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                Progress

You got alot bigger it appears.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

• Originally posted by Run View Post
                  You got alot bigger it appears.
                  Thanks man.........

Comment

• Reached my goal. Lost 20lbs and now am 180lbs @ 5'11 with a 32 inch waist.

Comment

• My personal best 365lb deadlift at 186lbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X