Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Cotto vs. Canelo happened on CBS what kind of tv ratings would it generate??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a free fight of two high caliber boxers the ratings would go thru the roof but is good to dream cause it would never happen...

Comment

I don't want to watch commercials in between rounds and ads popping up non stop during the fight. I'll pay the $60-$70 for a better viewing experience poor/cheap bastards will stream it anyway so it really doesn't matter. Besides I like having family/friends over and watching the fights in a big group if it's on free TV that won't happen.

Besides the fighters make money off the PPV buys, unless they are guaranteed a substantially purse this just won't happen. I saw an interview with Lampley somewhere and he said boxing is meant for PPV for these exact reasons and I agree. Sure I can do without the 20+ minute intro/anthem/saying 500 names that don't matter before the fight starts but I can deal with that.

Comment

If GBP & CBS put the numbers together and offered Cotto/Canelo a big enough purse that PPV buys wouldn't crack the amount they were getting paid, I can see it happening. CBS could promote the hell out of the fight through the "Fight Camp 360" re-brand in "All Access" plus the heavy advertisement on CBS/SEC and CBS/NFL would certainly get advertisers to flock to the event, and the biggest move of all would be to hold the match before the main event of Chavez Jr./Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
          I don't want to watch commercials in between rounds and ads popping up non stop during the fight. I'll pay the $60-$70 for a better viewing experience poor/cheap bastards will stream it anyway so it really doesn't matter. Besides I like having family/friends over and watching the fights in a big group if it's on free TV that won't happen.

Besides the fighters make money off the PPV buys, unless they are guaranteed a substantially purse this just won't happen. I saw an interview with Lampley somewhere and he said boxing is meant for PPV for these exact reasons and I agree. Sure I can do without the 20+ minute intro/anthem/saying 500 names that don't matter before the fight starts but I can deal with that.
          Hmmm why would people stream it if it's on terrestrial tv?

And don't you think it'd be better for the sport to get the exposure from network tv like it used to be? Don't you think it sucks that most people don't know who the fuck Mayweather and Pacquiao are?

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
            It would.

But we all know Prickchard Schaefer and Bob Arum and Gary Shaw and Lou DiFatso are far too greedy to give up the huge marquee PPV $$$.
            Surely they would make more on their next fight if they had this one PPV. It could attract many new fans who would pay for a fight

Comment

Originally posted by TR vs. GB View Post
              I am just curious as to if this fight landed on National Television in America what kind of tv ratings it would pull. There are over 52 million people of Hispanic descent in America and they would have a massive contingency of that demographic watching the fight plus the african american demographic and sports fans I think it can really draw a huge number if it was on CBS.
              There are enuff idiots that would pay PPV so it won't be on CBS. You know how ridiculous PPVs are? You paid for cable and you are paying even more to see one fight.

Comment

10 million +

Won't happen.

Comment

It would do very well but there's no way a network would fork over enough money to bring that to their network. PPV just brings in too much. Right now Cotto V Canelo would probably do 500,000 buys.

Comment

Canelo vs a can alone would do more than 10 million viewers.
                    Canelo's main market don't even have HBO.

And Cotto? If he fought on free TV the entire population of puerto rico would tune in and then some. More than 30 million for the two of them.
                    Last edited by croz; 06-26-2012, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                      Hmmm why would people stream it if it's on terrestrial tv?

And don't you think it'd be better for the sport to get the exposure from network tv like it used to be? Don't you think it sucks that most people don't know who the fuck Mayweather and Pacquiao are?
                      Eh, most people know who Mayweather and Pac are. They are easily among the biggest athletes on the planet today. It just gets into shady territory when you start talking about the Frochs and the Wards of the world.

The names people are guaranteed to know in the US are Mayweather, Pac, Cotto, Margarito. Cotto is a draw on his own but those two have been around the board enough times for people to recognise their names by now. Mosley and JMM would also have to be well known by now given the level of marketing they've been through. Canelo I understand is also a recognisable name purely due to being on the Mayweather under cards. Hell they even know Bradley now for better or worse. So really this "people only know one or two boxers" outlook isn't as bleak as people make out.

To top that off Vitali and Wlad do their rounds on major American talk shows and their fights generate a good bit of interest when HBO shows them in the US. Wlad vs Haye was the most googled US search term for a few days after the fight. Adamek vs Vitali was also trending well for their fight. Likewise, I'd bet Chisora vs Haye would do well if HBO would or anyone else would show it.
                      Last edited by croz; 06-26-2012, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X