Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG versus James Toney at 160 both prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't even know if GGG is in his prime, for all we know he could move up and beat Ward one day, or get beaten easily.

Why don't we make this scenario more interesting. How about current GGG vs Toney in his pro debut. I have Glovkin winning by KO.

Comment

Golovkin hasn't done enough to convince me he could hang Toney. Toney was huge at 160. With his power, defense, chin and skill, he could put a hurting on GGG.

Comment

Toney would win how he wins depends in the Toney that shows up if it happens at 168 Toney stops him.

Comment

This is a difficult question to answer, how good is GGG? We all know how good Toney was at middleweight, I saw him first hand many, many times and his foot work was impeccable. He could stand just an inch out of range, have his opponent miss or parry the punch and counter, all with minimal effort. Golovkin of course hits hard, very hard, power like that can not be brushed over. Toney had a great chin, still does in fact but that doesn't mean the punches won't slow him down.

I'd take Toney by decision but it would be a heck of a bout.

Comment

James was an incredible fighter, only let down by fatigue from draining. He also possessed one of the best chins I have ever seen, so GGG's power wouldn't negate the difference in skill.

Comment

I think Toney would win a decision. But it wouldn't be some kind of murder as some people are saying here.

Toney had problems with guys who would eat his shots and pressure the hell outta him.

Limited but tough guys like Merqui Sosa, David Tiberi and Sanderline Williams gave Toney hell with volume, pressure and body work.

So did Mike McCallum who is a bonafide great fighter, but wasn't at his best by the time they met. And of course, Vassily Jirov, who was a very good fighter, but limited.

I can see Toney landing the cleaner shots and winning a close, but clear decision. Golovkin would have his moments though.

Comment

You dont follow punchers and thats exactly what ggg would do. He would get hurt

Comment

I'd expect Toney to win a close UD or possibly stop him late. I think GGG is the more powerful puncher but Toney has one of the greatest chins all time and very good defense also.

Comment

GGG get's Jirov'd!

Comment

Originally posted by megadeth View Post
                      GGG get's Jirov'd!
                      You talk about this fight like it was easy for Toney.

It was hell for both men.

And Golovkin is a tad better than Jirov and has more concussive power.

Toney would probably win, but it wouldn't be easy.

Comment

Working...
                      X