Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bradley: I believe Mayweather is the No.1 fighter in the world!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradley: I believe Mayweather is the No.1 fighter in the world!

http://www.presstelegram.com/moresports/ci_17041065

Timothy Bradley's dream is to fight the best in the world, meaning the likes of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. But Bradley is not like a lot of fighters, who believe they deserve megafights before they've earned them.

"I do want Amir Khan, I do want Mayweather, and Pacquiao," said Bradley, the 27-year-old junior welterweight world champion from Palm Springs. "In order to get to these guys (Mayweather and Pacquiao), I would have to fight Amir Khan first in order to be mentioned in the same breath with a Mayweather or a Pacquiao."

Before Bradley can entertain thoughts of fighting fellow champion Khan, he must get past another world champion - Devon Alexander - on Jan. 29 at the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich. (on HBO).

It's quite a load to shoulder.

"There is a lot of added pressure due to the fact this fight could put me on the brink of greatness," Bradley said. "I have worked very hard to get to this position and now it's time to put up or shut up. I want to show the world what I'm capable of doing."

Bradley is ranked No. 9 in the Yahoo.com top 10 pound-for-pound poll, voted on by boxing journalists worldwide. He has attained this position by compiling a record of 26-0 with 11 knockouts.

Along the way he his displayed heavy mettle. He went to Junior Witter's native England and took Witter's world title via split decision in May 2008. Since then he has defeated Edner Cherry, fellow champion Kendall Holt, Lamont Peterson and Luis Carlos Abregu. All but the fight with Abregu - which was a temporary move up to welterweight - were title fights.

Bradley also defended his title against Nate Campbell in August 2009 and was thrashing Campbell for three rounds before the fight was stopped because Campbell suffered a cut that was ultimately ruled caused by a head-butt, the fight going down as a no-contest.

The fights with Holt and Campbell were considered toss-ups. Peterson also was expected to be somewhat of a difficult fight for Bradley.

Bradley beat him by eight, 11 and 13 points.

Everything that has come his way, he has handled.

"It is just hard work," said Bradley, who, at 5-foot-6 is not the tallest junior welterweight. "The harder I work, the more confidence I get. I know I put in the time and the hours and the sacrifice."

Bradley is co-promoted by Thompson Boxing Promotions and Gary Shaw Productions.

Alex Camponovo, matchmaker and general manager of Orange County-based Thompson Boxing, was asked about Bradley's future. As he began to speak about Khan and Pacquiao, he doled out a spin that perfectly characterizes Bradley's inner strength and desire to fight and beat the best.

"I don't see Timothy ducking no one," Camponovo said. "If it were up to him, he would fight them all on the same night."

Promoter's rhetoric? Sure. But as Camponovo pointed out, Bradley was on the cusp of fighting Khan a while back. When Khan dumped his England-based promoter - Frank Warren - and signed with Golden Boy Promotions a year ago, that fight that was nearly made did not materialize.

All this gazing into the crystal ball won't mean a thing if Bradley doesn't get past Alexander. That won't be easy. Alexander, 23, is 21-0 with 13knockouts, 3-0 with two knockouts in world title fights. He could be Bradley's most stern test to date.

"This could possibly be my toughest fight, due to the fact that Devon Alexander, he is extremely talented," Bradley said. "And the fact that he is young and he's a hungry opponent.

"He has speed and youth and skill and he is a lefty. He has a lot of great traits."

Khan is expected to make a title defense in April in England.

"The frontrunner is Lamont Peterson," said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, when asked about Khan's opponent for that fight. Schaefer also said recently he would like to see Khan fight the winner of Alexander-Bradley. If Bradley can emerge from all of that unscathed, it could be on to the biggest fish.

Bradley believes Mayweather is the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world, although Yahoo has him No. 2 behind Pacquiao. Since Mayweather has legal issues, it's difficult to tell if and when he'll be available.

Pacquiao will defend his welterweight title against 39-year-old "Sugar" Shane Mosley on May 7 in Las Vegas.

Camponovo would love to see Bradley get the next crack at Pacquiao.

"If he decides to fight somebody who is real," Camponovo said of Pacquiao. "The fight with Mosley is about three, four years too late. The fight with (Antonio) Margarito, everybody thought he was fighting a huge guy. But he was fighting a huge guy who could fight only one way. Very good matchmaking.

"It's time for him to step up and fight somebody who is real and has real potential to give him a good fight."

You singled out that 1 sentence from that entire article why?

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post

Init lol. Thats just his opionion ffs

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post

Why not? That's my prerogative and if you don't like it, GTFO!

Comment

"I do want Amir Khan, I do want Mayweather, and Pacquiao," said Bradley, the 27-year-old junior welterweight world champion from Palm Springs. "In order to get to these guys (Mayweather and Pacquiao), I would have to fight Amir Khan first in order to be mentioned in the same breath with a Mayweather or a Pacquiao."
          Thats what I'm talking about.

Comment

I am starting to like Bradley hope he beats Devon then has a massive Unification fight against Khan!

Comment

not gonna happen...

fight with khan can happen though. and i want him to crack that chin prescott and maidana already wobbled.

fight with pac depends if arum sees him as on great fighter that can stand on his own name.

fight with floyd... he's on vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Walterson View Post
                http://www.presstelegram.com/moresports/ci_17041065

Timothy Bradley's dream is to fight the best in the world, meaning the likes of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. But Bradley is not like a lot of fighters, who believe they deserve megafights before they've earned them.

Before Bradley can entertain thoughts of fighting fellow champion Khan, he must get past another world champion - Devon Alexander - on Jan. 29 at the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich. (on HBO).

It's quite a load to shoulder.

"There is a lot of added pressure due to the fact this fight could put me on the brink of greatness," Bradley said. "I have worked very hard to get to this position and now it's time to put up or shut up. I want to show the world what I'm capable of doing."

Bradley is ranked No. 9 in the Yahoo.com top 10 pound-for-pound poll, voted on by boxing journalists worldwide. He has attained this position by compiling a record of 26-0 with 11 knockouts.

Along the way he his displayed heavy mettle. He went to Junior Witter's native England and took Witter's world title via split decision in May 2008. Since then he has defeated Edner Cherry, fellow champion Kendall Holt, Lamont Peterson and Luis Carlos Abregu. All but the fight with Abregu - which was a temporary move up to welterweight - were title fights.

Bradley also defended his title against Nate Campbell in August 2009 and was thrashing Campbell for three rounds before the fight was stopped because Campbell suffered a cut that was ultimately ruled caused by a head-butt, the fight going down as a no-contest.

The fights with Holt and Campbell were considered toss-ups. Peterson also was expected to be somewhat of a difficult fight for Bradley.

Bradley beat him by eight, 11 and 13 points.

Everything that has come his way, he has handled.

"It is just hard work," said Bradley, who, at 5-foot-6 is not the tallest junior welterweight. "The harder I work, the more confidence I get. I know I put in the time and the hours and the sacrifice."

Bradley is co-promoted by Thompson Boxing Promotions and Gary Shaw Productions.

Alex Camponovo, matchmaker and general manager of Orange County-based Thompson Boxing, was asked about Bradley's future. As he began to speak about Khan and Pacquiao, he doled out a spin that perfectly characterizes Bradley's inner strength and desire to fight and beat the best.

"I don't see Timothy ducking no one," Camponovo said. "If it were up to him, he would fight them all on the same night."

Promoter's rhetoric? Sure. But as Camponovo pointed out, Bradley was on the cusp of fighting Khan a while back. When Khan dumped his England-based promoter - Frank Warren - and signed with Golden Boy Promotions a year ago, that fight that was nearly made did not materialize.

All this gazing into the crystal ball won't mean a thing if Bradley doesn't get past Alexander. That won't be easy. Alexander, 23, is 21-0 with 13knockouts, 3-0 with two knockouts in world title fights. He could be Bradley's most stern test to date.

"This could possibly be my toughest fight, due to the fact that Devon Alexander, he is extremely talented," Bradley said. "And the fact that he is young and he's a hungry opponent.

"He has speed and youth and skill and he is a lefty. He has a lot of great traits."

Khan is expected to make a title defense in April in England.

"The frontrunner is Lamont Peterson," said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, when asked about Khan's opponent for that fight. Schaefer also said recently he would like to see Khan fight the winner of Alexander-Bradley. If Bradley can emerge from all of that unscathed, it could be on to the biggest fish.

Bradley believes Mayweather is the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world, although Yahoo has him No. 2 behind Pacquiao. Since Mayweather has legal issues, it's difficult to tell if and when he'll be available.

Pacquiao will defend his welterweight title against 39-year-old "Sugar" Shane Mosley on May 7 in Las Vegas.

Camponovo would love to see Bradley get the next crack at Pacquiao.

"If he decides to fight somebody who is real," Camponovo said of Pacquiao. "The fight with Mosley is about three, four years too late. The fight with (Antonio) Margarito, everybody thought he was fighting a huge guy. But he was fighting a huge guy who could fight only one way. Very good matchmaking.

"It's time for him to step up and fight somebody who is real and has real potential to give him a good fight."
                Bradley has the right to express his opinion. Same as the poster yesir.

Comment

him saying that floyd is #1 compared to pac will not help his career.

floyd just won't fight him...

pac won't fight him because he's just the #2 of that guy's list

Comment

Posting whole article just to expose Pacquiao with one sentence, that looks like more writer's opinion than Bradley's, is pretty ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                    X