No announcement yet.

Kessler gave Calzaghe his hardest fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
    Yeah Reid nearly beat him, and so did Hopkins and that's why i think those fights were harder. From the middle rounds on, Calzaghe basically had Kessler figured out and was basically landing at will, while the Hopkins and Reid fights were both controversial as to who the winner was.
    Reid won imo, havent watched it in years tho. Whoever u had winning it was a hard close fight, he landed alot of good shots on Zags

Hopkins didnt take him into deep waters or hurt him much (other than the KD in the 1st) but was by far the classier of the two and i liked his quality over Joe's quantity so while not a "hard" fight per say its the one i thought gave him most trouble

Comment

Originally posted by GoogleMe View Post
      Hard and close are not the same...
      Again there wasn't much danger from Kessler from the middle rounds on, and i think the right hand knockdown that Hopkins scored was more effective than Kessler's uppercut's that didn't even stun Joe. I think those fights were harder because Joe couldn't completely solve Hopkins or Reids puzzle to the point that he could win comfortably (as he did with Kessler).

Comment

Again there wasn't much danger from Kessler from the middle rounds on, and i think the right hand knockdown that Hopkins scored was more effective than Kessler's uppercut's that didn't even stun Joe. I think those fights were harder because Joe couldn't completely solve Hopkins or Reids puzzle to the point that he could win comfortably (as he did with Kessler).
        Yeah i agree bud. Kessler got off to a great start but had no plan B, Joe for all his flaws did adjust really well mid fight and as u say from the mid rounds on Kessler had no answer

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          Yeah i agree bud. Kessler got off to a great start but had no plan B, Joe for all his flaws did adjust really well mid fight and as u say from the mid rounds on Kessler had no answer
          Exactly. I mean yeah he had some early success, but i just don't think Kessler did as well as many people think he did. From the middle rounds on, it was a complete schooling and if the ref wouldn't have separated them after Joe landed the body shot, Kessler might have went down or even been stopped. As far as pure hard fights, i think Joe had tougher fights then that in his younger days against Mitchell (even if it only lasted 2 rounds), Brewer, Eubank and Bika.

Comment

Exactly. I mean yeah he had some early success, but i just don't think Kessler did as well as many people think he did. From the middle rounds on, it was a complete schooling and if the ref wouldn't have separated them after Joe landed the body shot, Kessler might have went down or even been stopped. As far as pure hard fights, i think Joe had tougher fights then that in his younger days against Mitchell (even if it only lasted 2 rounds), Brewer, Eubank and Bika.
            Mitchell might have been even Harder if he hadnt been prematurely stopped...

I RARELY watch Calzaghe fights more than the one time but i think Saleem and Starie also gave him rough nights?

Comment

I wonder which fight you watched. Kessler shook Calzaghe in the 7th and 8th round and was in the fight all the way thru. Calzaghe just outworked him from round 9 and onwards but Kessler did by no means fade, like your Bernard did!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                I wonder which fight you watched. Kessler shook Calzaghe in the 7th and 8th round and was in the fight all the way thru. Calzaghe just outworked him from round 9 and onwards but Kessler did by no means fade, like your Bernard did!
                He didnt just outwork him tho Pastrano, he made a tactical switch that left Kessler confused and beaten

Which was Gutting! As i was rootin for MK BIGTIME!

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  Mitchell might have been even Harder if he hadnt been prematurely stopped...

I RARELY watch Calzaghe fights more than the one time but i think Saleem and Starie also gave him rough nights?
                  Good question, I've only seen the ones listed above but i did hear that Starie gave him a good one. Didn't he drop Calzaghe or something like that?

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                  Those were desperation punches. You also exaggerate on the effect that those shots actually had on Calzaghe. I never once in the fight seen Joe shook or even slightly stunned. What i did see though is him beat Kessler with his hands by his waist and landing at will late in the fight. There was even a point where Steward said he didn't think Kessler would hold up if the fight continued the way it did. This is the 3 last rounds, and Kessler is being treated like a kid getting roughed around by his dad. He never gained that much control over Hopkins.

Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I thought Reid and Hopkins both gave him tougher fights. Its possible that Kessler did more damage on him than Hopkins, but Reid definitely hit Calzaghe more than Kessler did.

I thought he lost that fight personally. but, it was a close one.

Comment

Good question, I've only seen the ones listed above but i did hear that Starie gave him a good one. Didn't he drop Calzaghe or something like that?

Those were desperation punches. You also exaggerate on the effect that those shots actually had on Calzaghe. I never once in the fight seen Joe shook or even slightly stunned. What i did see though is him beat Kessler with his hands by his waist and landing at will late in the fight. There was even a point where Steward said he didn't think Kessler would hold up if the fight continued the way it did. This is the 3 last rounds, and Kessler is being treated like a kid getting roughed around by his dad. He never gained that much control over Hopkins.

Have you not seen that big uppercut Mikkel landed in...musta been the fourth round? He landed more than a few good punches and certainly more than anyone until then had landed on Joe C. Reid fought well but I heard Joe was sick before that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X