No announcement yet.

anyone else feel like this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone else feel like this?

i feel like im not seeing an improvement. i've been boxing for about 4 years and had 9 fights. i just feel like i give so much of my life up to this sport, training everyday, but im going nowhere. i get beat up in sparring, drop close decisions, and can't seem to perform. a lot of kids in my gym are better than me even though i train harder and have been boxing longer... its like they've got something i haven't.... im not about to give up, but im growing tired of going nowhere.. do you think that genetics, or natural talent comes into it? im not exactly a naturally gifted athlete, but i make up for it with hard work... just dont know what im doing wrong?

Stop doing, start thinking. Don't go with the motions, have an open mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Richie-G View Post
      i feel like im not seeing an improvement. i've been boxing for about 4 years and had 9 fights. i just feel like i give so much of my life up to this sport, training everyday, but im going nowhere. i get beat up in sparring, drop close decisions, and can't seem to perform. a lot of kids in my gym are better than me even though i train harder and have been boxing longer... its like they've got something i haven't.... im not about to give up, but im growing tired of going nowhere.. do you think that genetics, or natural talent comes into it? im not exactly a naturally gifted athlete, but i make up for it with hard work... just dont know what im doing wrong?

At 17 your barely starting out, loads of developing to do. If you genuinely aren't naturally gifted athletically, you are in the same boat as many a professional boxer. Just watch Steve Collins!

If you aren't enjoying the sport you might as well stop for now, its not as if it is your job. You may find that returning to it in a few years revitalises you a bit.

Perhaps you could watch more boxing fights from history, study your idols' moves and try to emulate them. You could work to your own strengths.....if as you say you work hard let your stamina and workrate do the talking in sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by Joachim View Post
        Stop doing, start thinking. Don't go with the motions, have an open mind.
        what exactly do you mean lol?

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        At 17 your barely starting out, loads of developing to do. If you genuinely aren't naturally gifted athletically, you are in the same boat as many a professional boxer. Just watch Steve Collins!

If you aren't enjoying the sport you might as well stop for now, its not as if it is your job. You may find that returning to it in a few years revitalises you a bit.

Perhaps you could watch more boxing fights from history, study your idols' moves and try to emulate them. You could work to your own strengths.....if as you say you work hard let your stamina and workrate do the talking in sparring.
        ive got 3 fights lined up within the next month, so i need to get these out of the way first. its not that im not enjoying it, i just find it frustrating to work hard and see people who dont take it as seriously as me do better than me.

Comment

take some time off maybe a month or so let your body recuperate from all the hard training and here is a tip dont worry about what others are doing just worry about what your doing and what you can do and what you want to accomplish.

Comment

Natural talent does play a role, but if you work hard you can overcome some talent deficits. And talent is varied, you can be fast, strong, have a good chin, pick up technique well, be a good thinker in the ring etc

Not all the good fighters come good right away, a guy I know lost the majority of his first 15-20 fights, and ended up going to 2 olympics. The further he went, the harder he worked, he found out his strengths, worked on them, and ended up being probably the best fighter in my country for a good time.

Just because you aren't some freak who's talent is apparent right away and blows out his first 10 opponents (which some kids do) doesn't mean you won't end up being a good fighter, or that you aren't already a good fighter.

How is it that you get "beat up" in sparring, and by who?

I wouldn't worry so much about close decisions....in the amateurs and boxing in general, the close fights can go either way, or sometimes the wrong way...It's a pretty fickle system.

Comment

Change something up. Do you go through the exact same routine/drills at the gym each day? It's important to practice techniques over and over until they become second nature, but when they do that's when you need to add more. If you're always doing the same stuff you won't add anything new to your arsenal.

So ask your coach for a new footwork drill. Get him to change up how you guys do your padwork a bit. Longer combinations, more body punches etc. Something that is different to give you a new skill to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by Richie-G View Post
                what exactly do you mean lol?

ive got 3 fights lined up within the next month, so i need to get these out of the way first. its not that im not enjoying it, i just find it frustrating to work hard and see people who dont take it as seriously as me do better than me.
                Its all about the next fight brother.

Its got to be better than your last one and every fight from now HAS to be better than your worst one. Thats the pressure and fear all fighters face but you've got to use that fear. Its a tiny thing but its your fight. The more you can relax with that fear and use it the better fighter you'll be and the more you'll freak your opponent. Mike says it best when he says fear is your friend.

You gotta go there and grab it by the balls. Some people are suggesting you take a break or drop the sport.

Jobs, family, college all that **** is getting to you now. I'm sure

Take a break for a weekend. A real nice relaxing weekend. Don't party too much. Go out by the beach or into the mountains somewhere and just take it easy.

Tried fishing? What am I saying you're in Bournemouth. Maybe head to Portland. Its nice and quiet there, check out the rocks.

Then be ready to get back on the bike for those fights coming. Give them everything you got in your mind and body. Take them one at a tim and break them down. Learn from them.

After those fights have a think about what you want to do.

Bump this thread with your results be nice to hear back.
                Last edited by DET. IRONSIDE; 10-15-2010, 03:17 AM.

Comment

maybe u need a better trainer

Comment

No, you didn't do anything wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X