Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Eight Years, Four Fights, One Punch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For once someone has said that the reason for May/Pac not happening is NOT fear from one or the other. Thank you. There's little doubt that both would've loved that fight to happen. I agree too with who would've won...Floyd, going away. In fact, there's probably never been a point that Floyd wouldn't have beaten Pac in my estimation.

The oneupmanship at the table, as you have pointed out, seems wholly plausible. Floyd's ego as the pay per view "king" would've been an intractable obstacle. Arum's greed for an even bigger deal, along with his protection of his cash cow Manny, would've been equally intractable. And as you pointed out, it's all so yesterday now.
    Last edited by Dazzaman; 12-10-2012, 10:44 PM. Reason: Needed to add more

Comment

Originally posted by PacmanP4PLegend View Post
      Boxing is dead, RIP to a once great sport which has now fallen behind MMA and WWE... Rigged fights like paying Pac to pull a fake KO was low low low. Shame, Shame, Shame on HBO, Top Rank, and people like me who paid to watch this garbage! Damn what was I thinking?:
      Yeah.....PAC was paid to get knocked out cold and face-planted in front of his wife and Mitt Romney!.. Lol!!! Some of you guys should be on suicide watch. The anguish must be unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzaman View Post
        For once someone has said that the reason for May/Pac not happening is NOT fear from one or the other. Thank you. There's little doubt that both would've loved that fight to happen. I agree too with who would've won...Floyd, going away. In fact, there's probably never been a point that Floyd wouldn't have beaten Pac in my estimation.

The oneupmanship at the table, as you have pointed out, seems wholly plausible. Floyd's ego as the pay per view "king" would've been an intractable obstacle. Arum's greed for an even bigger deal, along with his protection of his cash cow Manny, would've been equally intractable. And as you pointed out, it's all so yesterday now.
        No period in time Pacquaio would've beaten Floyd? I'm sure there are a ton of fans on here who never thought Marquez could KO pacquaio or even as much as get him to hit the ring mat..Plenty of fans here who if old enough bet money against Bowe when he fought tyson..A bunch of ppl on here who lost money on Ortiz vs Lopez...A record, your gifts, your defense means diddly squat from the past, what matters is the mistake you make in the ring on fight night..and now more than ever both fan bases need to realize nothing even a win is cemented or guaranteed. Considering how many upsets have happened over the past 100 years in boxing I am baffled anytime anyone states "No way could he beat him"..oh really? I can pull up about a few dozen instances of fighters who ppl didn't expect to lose the fight and they ended up losing. This isn't about being a legit fan of boxing or a casual fan..anytime you step in the ring you have a 50% chance of losing..no matter who you are...of course unless the other guy is just there for a check.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony B. View Post
          Lol yeah, it was a lucky punch...and Manny tripped. And Marquez stomped his toes. And PAC forgot to wear his rosary. All of the excuses in the world won't change the fact that your hero got put to sleep. Marquez should be 4-0 against PAC.
          4-0 let's not get ahead of ourselves..i'm a fan of neither man but 4-0 is a stretch and extremely debatable..the judge in that first fight is on record admitting his mistake cost Pacquaio a win which in all likelihood would've never resulted in 3 more fights after. The others we can debate, the fourth undebateable..both men came within a breath of losing one did and took a nap. Kudos to them both.

Comment

"The greatest boxers can examine what his opponent is, and then exploit what he is not. It took eight years and four fights for Juan Manuel Marquez and his Hall of Fame trainer, Nacho Beristain, to successfully exploit Manny Pacquiao — with one punch."

Floyd Mayweather doesn't need 8 years and 4 fights.... what makes Mayweather a great fighter, a true great, is his ability to figure this stuff out in less than 12 rounds. That's why Pac would never have beaten Floyd, Floyd would have had him all worked out in 5 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by cameltoe View Post
              "The greatest boxers can examine what his opponent is, and then exploit what he is not. It took eight years and four fights for Juan Manuel Marquez and his Hall of Fame trainer, Nacho Beristain, to successfully exploit Manny Pacquiao — with one punch."

Floyd Mayweather doesn't need 8 years and 4 fights.... what makes Mayweather a great fighter, a true great, is his ability to figure this stuff out in less than 12 rounds. That's why Pac would never have beaten Floyd, Floyd would have had him all worked out in 5 rounds.
              Against that's an assumption, one in which you haven't included any of the other guys talents into an equation for. 1. Mayweather has never faced an opponent with Pac's speed 2. He's never faced an opponent with Pac's level of punching power. 3. He's never faced an opponent with as high an accuracy of pac's. Much like one guy can be heralded for his knowledge the other guy is no slouch. Ppl underestimate Pacquaio's counter punching abilities, yet Marquez in 4 fights has kissed the canvas 6 times because of it. And yes every single time Marquez has been floored by pacquaio has been at the tailor made end of a counter punch.

Comment

Working...
              X