No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Oleksandr Usyk's Grand Arrival Marks New Trends in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    Very nice write up. You should have included top 10 LHW Vyacheslav Shabranskyy among the list of Ukrainians even though he never competed at the Olympics he was around during the same era and a rival of Gvozdyk at Nationals like Derevyanchenko was Khytrov.

Proclaiming that Usyk won't stay at CW long is speculation on your part and your summary of his options in the division inaccurate. A unification with the Bellew/Briedis winner or Gassiev if he wins is very possible and voluntaries against Huck, Dorticos, Wlod/Durodula winner, Chakhkiev, Kucher, Kalenga, Mchunu, Cieslak, Kudryashov during the meantime would be very worth while competition.
    I like Shabranskyy. And here's a guy who's willing to take very little money for the risk the challenger would take against him. Now that's something worth paying attention to. Not even Andre Ward would look his way. That's really intimidating for other LHW's.

Comment

Things are looking up for Usyk. Let his star rise...

Comment

Originally posted by DblLFThooK View Post
        I picked this upset. Payday.
        Upset? Even at the beginning of the fight they said Usyk was the favorite.

Comment

Usyk is the real deal, because Glowacki was the real deal. He handled Glowacki fairly easily. I would have liked to see more power from him, but Glowacki may just have an iron jaw. I would have also liked to see more accuracy from Usyk's combinations. Glowacki made him miss a bit with his head movement as well. That being said, I thought the two best Cruiser were in the ring last Saturday. I am not so high on Usyk going to heavyweight. That boxing ability, while good for a man of his size, isn't at the level it would need to be to conquer bigger men with reach and one punch power. He isn't a Rigondeaux, or even Lomachenko in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Upset? Even at the beginning of the fight they said Usyk was the favorite.
            He was a -340 favorite the day before the fight.

Comment

P4P material.

Comment

Originally posted by JUNIABOY View Post
                I like Shabranskyy. And here's a guy who's willing to take very little money for the risk the challenger would take against him. Now that's something worth paying attention to. Not even Andre Ward would look his way. That's really intimidating for other LHW's.
                This thread isn't about Andre Ward so I don't know why you're even bringing him up, but as I remember it you have your facts wrong.

Ward was willling to fight Shabransky. But as I recall Steve Kim was told that there wasn't enough money to satisfy Shabransky's team.

Comment

I'm a little surprised that HBO would be willing to invest into Usyk given their historical stance on the CW division.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                    I'm a little surprised that HBO would be willing to invest into Usyk given their historical stance on the CW division.

i'm guessing K2 has a bit of pull with them these days due to golovkin

plus usyk is a special case

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                      i'm guessing K2 has a bit of pull with them these days due to golovkin

plus usyk is a special case
                      I guess it goes hand in hand to what they're doing with Roman Gonzalez - a special talent that's capable of being exciting (sorry Rigo). On that note they might as well sign Clarissa Shields and put her on all the future Kovalev cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X