Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the obsession with Pirog Vs Martinez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pistol whip View Post
    Sturm/or 168 pound fighter take your pick
    Martinez is a small 160lber. Sturm won't take the fight. Neither is gonna happen.

Angulo/Kirkland even if they arn't likely right now
    I'm ok with either or both, but neither isn't realistic right now.

Then pirog
    If I was Pirog I would not want to fight Martinez. I think he should get some bigger fights in the states first. But he wants Martinez, so he's one that can't be ruled out.

Im not asking for martinez to take soft touch but at the same time he hasn't taken a soft touch in about 3 years so if he does hey he's earned it.
    Personally I'm not gonna slam DiBella, HBO, or Martinez if they put someone soft against him. I'm not gonna like it, or say he deserves it, but it is what it is. I'd rather see Martinez vs Softy than Saul Alvarez vs Bobby Pacquaio.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
      why do you care so much about how much money martinez makes though?

All I'm saying is Pirog is a damn good fighter and so is Martinez. They both had the two best KO's of last year on HBO and it would be fireworks if they were to ever fight.

I understand the whole idea of "building up the fight" and I'm not one to call Martinez a ducker if he doesn't IMMEDIATELY fight Pirog, but people shouldn't act dumb as to why fans want to see this fight. It's obvious why. It's logical.

Sure, maybe Martinez can make a few bucks more against Peter Manfredo jr. No one is going to tell me that's a better fight though. Eventually though, Martinez and his promoter will come to the realization that there is no one else to fight but Pirog. Kirkland = not ready. Angulo = greencard, probably wouldn't want it anyway. Sturm = LOL. That doesn't leave too many guys out there - there is Lara, another high risk low reward guy, K9, Pac/Floyd = not a chance, and maybe a rematch with Kermit Cintron.

Not too many options for Martinez when you break it down. Pirog is the best option any way you look at it (provided he wins saturday of course).

Likely what they are doing though is feeding martinez some bum and hope that bob arum will feed them cotto/margarito at the end of the year.

Trust me im the last guy who cares how much fighters make in fact I have scolded other people for their obsession with the whole Manny/Floyd cash cow arguments. Im also not saying that it's not a fight I wouldn't want to see! I think pirog vs martinez is a good match up but it's not a must fuking have like everyone seems to be exaggerating! But as it was so well put earlier in the thread Pirog is their by default not out of merit but Im attacking the people who are using pirog as a means to call martinez a ducker.

As far as the money goes like I said I don't care about it but putting myself in martinez shoes. Im 35 years old, I have a very small window left, I just ran the gauntlet for the last 3 years taking on the best that they can throw at me, and I have a low rish good size reward fight in front of me. well im gonna take it! Thats all im saying! If any fighter deserves to get a gimmie it's sergio why? Because he's already proven he doesn't duck people so I see no harm in him making some easy cash thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
        the sergixcuses never end.
        Pirog gets beaten by UD.

And all us Sergio fans thank you for supporting our hero by having his pic in your sig.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
          because is the best fight that can be possibly be made at 160 pounds, plus it's a unification bout.

boxing fans usually want to see the best fight the best.
          We do? I thought we just wanted our fighters to find the most money imaginable, even if they have to fight fighters two divisions lower to do so.

Comment

I think that Golovkin is a really good fighter. Knocked out Bute and beat some other guy in the ams, but can't remember who it was. Was it Dirrel? I believe the best solution instead of hyping up one of these guys is to have a four way tournament to see who gets a shot at Sergio if that makes the TS happy. How about an all Euro fight between Golovkin and Pirog while Angulo and Kirkland duke it out with the winners fighting each other respectively for a shot at Sergio?

Still doesn't change the fact that it's a bitch move to seek out guys from smaller divisions when you are the Middleweight champ. The only time Hopkins did it was when there were no other contenders to fight that he hadn't already beat. Not the case with Sergio.

Comment

Working...
            X