Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwback fighters you admire....what makes em throwbacks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwback fighters you admire....what makes em throwbacks?

The term "throwback" is bandied about in boxing. When it is used appropriately it refers to certain qualities a fighter has....who are fighers you admire for this quality and how are they throwback fighers?

I could, off the top of my head say Hopkins: the use of a deceptive fighting stance where his shoulder creates a fictional fighting line. His inside fighting...something seldom employed these days.

James Toney His use of angles employed when countering off a shoulder roll, his level of experience, his willingness to fight regularly and attitude.

But my favorite guy for this category is Glenn Johnson, the road warrior. Glen could be a HOF candidate if a few more decisions went his way, and he always presents himself as a guy who guts it out. In fact? there is more to the road warrior. FIrst he is primarily a pressure fighter who has learned and employs sophisticated techniques....Unlike a lot of swarmers (think Holyfield, Froch) Johnson is not really much of a puncher. His skill in creating the right distance is something I have observed in old timers. In order to constantly swarm he stands just out of range of his opponent and manages to make then miss just a little bit....when they are recovering he springs the trap, i.e he can easily swarm the opponent.

I find that guys like Froch who tend to be active puncher/swarmers often depend on speed and luck more than proper distance....JOhnson controls the distance in front of his opponent so he can swarm with little wasted energy. His victory of Jones was a masterful example of this.

A lot of the old timers who looked like they were just tough brawlers employed this tactic of distancing.

Just used the 'throwback' term in a thread i posted about Jorge Castro..I refer to it when describing warriors who fight every fight, like it's their last.

Comment

Throwback to me at least, is fighters that fight but have really high skill level. Nowadays the guys that use boxing skills are found to be boring, while the action fighters arent very skilled...
      Guys like duran, or chavez would use high level skills but would always make a fight out of it, whereas guys like floyd, ward, hopkins, have very high skills, they dont provide much action,,

Simply put, throwback is when guys have skills, but they come to fight

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        Just used the 'throwback' term in a thread i posted about Jorge Castro..I refer to it when describing warriors who fight every fight, like it's their last.
        Hence one of the terms of endearment used to describe the Ward Gatti trilogy: "It was a throwback fight."

Comment

Even though opinion is somewhat divided about whether the modern guys, or the old timers are better....this term is always used with aprobation....as a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Hence one of the terms of endearment used to describe the Ward Gatti trilogy: "It was a throwback fight."
            When Tyson did his ring walk.. No robe, black shorts and boots.
            All copied from the most notorious of all known throwbacks, Dempsey
            Original throwbacks, wrestled with sabre tooth and hunted mammoth lol

Comment

I'd consider Danny Garcia a throwback. Comes to fight, fights anyone, and hasn't been handed any free wins/titles. He's continually the underdog and put in positions where he's expected to lose and triumphs through the adversity.

Comment

Working...
              X