No announcement yet.

45 year old Sugar Ray Robinson fights Joey Archer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 year old Sugar Ray Robinson fights Joey Archer

Machine what happend to posting monzon vs tonna?

Comment

Depressing to watch Robinson get beat by Archer, a guy he would have handled pretty handily at his best or even when he was slightly past his best.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        Depressing to watch Robinson get beat by Archer, a guy he would have handled pretty handily at his best or even when he was slightly past his best.
        Archer was a good boxer though, despite having no punching power. He had wins over Dick Tiger, Rubin Carter, Holley Mims, Denny Moyer, Don Fullmer and lost two very close decisions to Emile Griffith which infuriated him so much that it made him retire at 29 years of age.

Robinson still looked quite good for a man in his mid 40's with as much wear and tear as he had. It was better to go out on this performance than the previous losses to Stan Harrington, Memo Ayon and Ferd Hernandez...

Of course it would have been much better to see him retire after winning his 5th middleweight title against Basilio.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
          Archer was a good boxer though, despite having no punching power. He had wins over Dick Tiger, Rubin Carter, Holley Mims, Denny Moyer, Don Fullmer and lost two very close decisions to Emile Griffith which infuriated him so much that it made him retire at 29 years of age.

Robinson still looked quite good for a man in his mid 40's with as much wear and tear as he had. It was better to go out on this performance than the previous losses to Stan Harrington, Memo Ayon and Ferd Hernandez...

Of course it would have been much better to see him retire after winning his 5th middleweight title against Basilio.
          I wasn't saying Archer was bad but I really can't see him beating a prime or slightly past prime Robinson, Archer was a pretty quick guy who knew how to handle himself, no doubt about that.

Or even after his draw with Fullmer, that was arguably his last great performance, at least in my eyes. He should have won that fight.

Comment

Joey Archer was a good fighter in his own right. He never really possesed much punching power,(8 KO'S in 45 wins). But was a good all round fighter and very tough never stopped in 49 fights.

He had good wins over Rubin Carter, Denny Moyer, Farid Salim, Dick Tiger, Don Fullmer.

Archer won his first 30 fights before losing a close decision Puerto Rico's Jose Monon Gonzalez, a loss he would avenge in his next fight.

As i said he beat Fullmer and Fullmer also defeated him for the WBA American Middleweight Title in 1965, this was Archer's next fight after defeating Ray Robinson.

He retired with 45 wins out of 49 fights, KO'd 8. In his last two fights he had two attemps at the WBA Middlweight Title and lost both of them against Emile Griffith, two bouts which he thought he should of got, and reitred due to this.

Last edited by Southpaw16BF; 04-18-2009, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Joey Archer vs Holley Mims

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                I wasn't saying Archer was bad but I really can't see him beating a prime or slightly past prime Robinson, Archer was a pretty quick guy who knew how to handle himself, no doubt about that.

Or even after his draw with Fullmer, that was arguably his last great performance, at least in my eyes. He should have won that fight.
                Agreed but he had a bunch of ugly fights against Pender in between which could have probably gone Robinson's way as well.

Archer vs Griffith II:

Comment

Agreed but he had a bunch of ugly fights against Pender in between which could have probably gone Robinson's way as well.

Archer vs Griffith II:

Indeed, the Pender fights looked pretty ugly but I can't say whether I thought Robinson won or lost those fights because I've only seen highlights of them, I don't think they were recorded in it's entirety. But you're right, reports do have both fights being close.

Comment

Working...
                  X