No announcement yet.

Emanuel Steward Hates That Cotto is Facing Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emanuel Steward Hates That Cotto is Facing Foreman

He said in a very nice Interview in the newspaper from Puerto Rico "El Nuevo Dia" he also said he is risking a lot in taking the job and that his reputation is on the line because people told him Cotto is done but he doesn't believe that. He thinks Cotto just needs someone to guide him. He also called his first hand wrapping with Cotto "Special"

Here is the interview

What was your first impression of Miguel?

I have always been a fan of Miguel.What he needs to do is go back to his roots. He has all the talent in the world but he needs to go back to being the boxer and puncher he was. Her has gone away from the movement he had.

What is your mission with Cotto?

We are going towork with speed, with legs speed. In this fight Miguel can't be running at 40 mile an hour and Foreman at 70. He is going to have to cut the ring really fast and he is going to have to fight more straight insted of leaning foward so much. But our focus is on speed and speed and putting pressure.

When you signed with Cotto the fight with Foreman was already signed. Do you like this fight in your debut with Miguel?

No. No. I don't like it because Foreman only runs and makes everyone look bad. Is the last thing in the Miguel needs. But is already signed and I have to do my part. We going to have to put lots of pressure with the legs and attack with his power. W e have to cut the ring.

You seen Cotto fight in most of his tittle fights. Which one is your favorite and the one that disappointed you the most?

The one that disappointed me the most was probably the one against Pacquiao because he fought so down and made Pacquiao look big. I really thought he was going to beat Pacquiaio. He disappointed me. I knew Margarito was going to put pressure and force Miguel to fight faster than normal and I knew that was a problem. The one I liked the most was the Pinto fight, he beat Cotto in the amateurs and Cotto fought beautiful.

Miguel has lost 2 of his last 4 fights. he's been champion and dethroned. He is close to being 30 years old. How muchg boxing he has left?

We don't know. But we think that with a new style, new motivation, new technique, new image, Miguel will get help. He's taken two KO's and he was not that interested anymore. Now with new techniques he will get motivated and I will get motivated aswell because he's lost two of his last four fights, and is a challenge for me.

Much has been said of Miguel's lifestyle when he is not training. Did you have to tell him anything about that?

Everyone in Puerto Rico told me different things. But he is going to be fine with me. The thing is he knows he can't lose anymore because the people will stop supporting him. His lifestyle won't be a problem because we will really focused in training in Tampa We will discuss it.

How is your contract with Miguel?

We don't have a contract. We only had a hand shake. If we work well we keep going. The first hand wrap was special. I have always been a fan of his and now I am in his corner. But the most important thing for me was when I was at the airport of Puerto Rico on thursday, I could not believe the amount of people that stop to tell me "You have to bring back Miguel to his seat of honor". Not even in Mexico that has happen to me. Puerto Rico is the countrythat is most proud of his boxers. I have come to understand that. Now I know how Puerto Rico felt with Tito Trinidad.

If the project with Cotto doesn't work, how much are you risking your reputation?

A lot. They have told me I am taking a big risk in training him. But I have told themMiguel is not done, that what he needs is helpand I think I can help him. At 140 he was big. At 147 he was somewhat big. Now at 154 he is going to be fighting boxers almost 6 feet tall and Foreman will be fighting at his home. Wer know we got a lot of things going against us.
    Steward doesn't hold anything back that is for sure.

he's right. foreman fights like a ***** and has no problem stinking up the joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggy View Post
      he's right. foreman fights like a ***** and has no problem stinking up the joint.
      I hoping he can blast through him like he did Quintana. Cotto can make Foreman run less by attacking his body early, one thing for sure is Cotto is going to have to move his head so he doesn't get picked apart by Foremans pepperd jabs

Comment

Heh, when Foreman runs its stinking up the place, when someone like Floyd, Dirrel or Ward does it...its "tactical retreating" or being slick

Comment

Originally posted by madsweeney View Post
          Heh, when Foreman runs its stinking up the place, when someone like Floyd, Dirrel or Ward does it...its "tactical retreating" or being slick
          nope. foreman literally runs laterally. that is his only defense. he doesnt even really counter or use his feet to create holes. he runs to run.
          his style is the absolute worst, i hope cotto crushes his ribs and foreman never gets a TV date again.

Comment

nope. foreman literally runs laterally. that is his only defense. he doesnt even really counter or use his feet to create holes. he runs to run.
            his style is the absolute worst, i hope cotto crushes his ribs and foreman never gets a TV date again.
            I know, just joking around dude. Its early and slow at work.

Comment

bad fight for Cotto, Foreman is gonna run like a biatch

Comment

Working...
              X