No announcement yet.

Victor Ortiz boxing ability

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
    Ortiz does have skills but he's just not mentally there.
    Not much skill. He's strong and has out muscled his opponents. No technique, no jab, no chin. But he will trade with u

Comment

Originally posted by Fidel456 View Post
      Not much skill. He's strong and has out muscled his opponents. No technique, no jab, no chin. But he will trade with u
      It was Berto but he had a good jab going in that fight, took away Bertos right hand but once he got cracked he folded like a piece of paper.

Comment

Ortiz is good and physically capable

but mentally, he is definitely a midget

you give that guy margarito mentality and he will be unstoppable

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
          Ortiz is good and physically capable

but mentally, he is definitely a midget

you give that guy margarito mentality and he will be unstoppable
          Like Chavez JR! Has all the tools except for his daddy's heart!

Comment

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
            I was surprised that he took away Berto's straight right. If he only fought in that passive aggressive style throughout his career. Most of his hate comes from fans that see his potential and want him to do good, but he can't dig deep enough to want to do good for himself. What a waste of talent. I think he'll be remembered as the biggest waste of talent in the sport.
            You can't call him "the biggest waste of talent in the sport" because he was at least able to win a world title (challenging for world titles at two weight classes).

there are talents who never even got that far.

Comment

A horifically bad southpaw but not really his fault. Roberto Garcia has no idea how to train southpaws.

Comment

good handspeed and power but lack of defence and chin

Comment

He does one or two things well and if you're a great athlete that will get you some wins, but he's a very limited fighter in general. His ring IQ is so low he makes Khan look like B-Hop.

He throws a good straight left, and when he gets inside he comes up well with the left hook. But if the opponent starts sticking a jab in his face or backing him up he just falls apart. No feints, little to no countering, weird foot placement. If his opponent is physically overmatched Ortiz can look great, but he's a flat track bully.

Comment

He wasn't doing anything, just moving aimlessly, showing off your boxing skills and being clever nowadays is measured by how passive and how much aimless running about you do. Berto was there for the taking, watching them you could see it would be the first one to land big and Berto was there for Ortiz all night and the idiot just drags it out to where he's the one that gets clocked and stopped.
                    Last edited by SplitSecond; 05-04-2016, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
                      I was surprised that he took away Berto's straight right. If he only fought in that passive aggressive style throughout his career. Most of his hate comes from fans that see his potential and want him to do good, but he can't dig deep enough to want to do good for himself. What a waste of talent. I think he'll be remembered as the biggest waste of talent in the sport.
                      I told you a long...long time ago that Victor has holes in his game. If you take his mental makeup out of the equation, he still never developed technically the way he should have, he was always too square on in his stance and was too open to be hit as a result. He needed to have a great chin to succeed, but not only doesn't he have a great chin but he doesn't have elite level toughness or even the ambition to succeed in spite of those weaknesses.

His combination of speed and power is awesome and I think that is what everyone in the game saw in the early days, the potential. One of his best sequences in his entire career is the first round against Maidana up until he gets knocked down, he is ferocious and frightening and lands a peach of a right hook counter to floor Maidana, that was the best of him because he was fearless. After that we all know what happens. He had potential but I think he would have always got exposed, a passive aggressive style would not have worked for him. The Peterson fight is a perfect example, looks awesome early when he is being aggressive and nearly has Peterson out of there, and after a few rounds decides to box, lets Peterson back in the fight, starts getting tagged and stung a couple of times himself and hangs on for a draw.

No matter what way you look at it, he never had the combination of attributes to be elite, mental or physical, and you should accept that fact.

But at least you aren't so arrogant anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X