Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is currently boxing's most overrated fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
    GGG by far, can't wait till his day comes.

I don't see Broner as being overrated because not many people think highly of him in actuality. Only person overhyping him is himself. We all saw him look average in the Paulie fight and get a gift against Ponce.
    I've noticed this kinda comment off a few people and ain't quite sure I understand. Are you basically saying you can't wait for a fighter to lose for no other reason than schadenfraude - enjoyment of the misery you imagine such a loss will inflict on that fighters' followers?

Why you care what other people think?

The only times I actively want a fighter to lose (as opposed to rooting for an opponent to win) is if I find that fighter personally objectionable (PED Cheats for instance, or guys with a history of violence towards women etc). Why wish ill on a guy who puts his health on the line for our entertainment? Is it really just because of overzealous fans that the fighter ain't even responsible for?

I don't get why just enjoying and discussing the sport we all love ain't enough for some people.

Comment

After last night, a hell of a lot of us, myself worse than many, were overrating Lucas Matthysse.

Comment

matthysse wasn't overrated, garcia was just underrated.

also, golovkin is a totally different kettle of fish to lucas. he is not merely a hardman, he is actually closer stylistically to garcia. he is deceptively shrewd and picks his shots brilliantly.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
          Broner a bitch.,

we knew canelo will lose, lucas was a 50/50.

But hey danny puches lucas in the balls non stops, so wtf

Comment

Golovkin by a country mile. For what he's actually done, he's deserving of very little hype. Matthyse had at least beat Peterson. Golovkin hasn't beaten anyone near that level yet. He hasn't even beaten anyone at the level of Soto.

For a 32 year old, with 8 defenses of a world title, won off an unknown 14-2-2 Colombian club fighter, to not have a single top win at all yet be hyped as a future HOFer and possible ATG is utterly laughable.

As much as I was baffled by the Matthyse hype, I could understand it after the Peterson win and because no one was claiming him as a future ATG and HOFer. When your best win is a shot Kassim Ouma and you won your vacant 'world title' off a no one and a big win entails beating domestic level guys of next to no standing, the hype surrounding him makes me laugh and cringe all at once.

To me, he's a bizarre exception from the hype rule. He's been fighting for a long time now. About 8 years. He's held a title for 3 years and made 7 or 8 defenses and he's into his thirties and past his physical peak without a single top win and rather than slag him off and run him down, he's getting more hype than any other fight in boxing in most circles. When you think of a future HOFer and possible ATG, you would expect some seriously great opposition to be among those stats. Other HOFers, prime, top champions, undefeated, world class fighters one after another on his resume. Golovkin doesn't have anything even remotely resembling one win of that caliber. Yet people insist on calling him p4p blah blah HOF, future star and great.

Ridiculous.

Even Broner is at least a three division champ, over the span of four divisions, with numerous former/current champs under his belt and a clear win against the number guy of a division.

For a 23 year old to have many more champions on his résumé, in nearly half the time, while ten years younger, against opposition miles ahead of Golovkins and his title wins coming against actual current champions and top rated fighters in the same number of fights, his hype is understandable and makes sense, yet he's the one getting slagged off and run down as a hyped up bum....?

That's NSB for ya.
            Last edited by BennyST; 09-15-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              matthysse wasn't overrated, garcia was just underrated.

also, golovkin is a totally different kettle of fish to lucas. he is not merely a hardman, he is actually closer stylistically to garcia. he is deceptively shrewd and picks his shots brilliantly.
              Matts was certainly overrated a bit he's just not a complete fighter and while Garcia was hugely underrated ppl still tried to convince you that he really was less skilled than Matts.

Can Canelo be considered overrated still ppl will dismiss his lose but give it some time and a well managed return he'll be brought up to the same peaks and honestly there's not a real difference in size so who do most think would win between GGG/Canelo?

Comment

Working...
              X