Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is boxing popular in your circle of friends...?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No as I have no friends lol

Comment

• I don't have friends.

Comment

• none of my friends care about any sport other than typical team sports, i live in the midwest so it's pretty much baseball and football with my friends. none of them know **** about boxing, only me

Comment

• years ago..no!!..but today, we can't go 5 minutes without starting up a boxing convo

Comment

• Only my Brother follows and knows more or less about boxing than I do.

The rest of my mates watch the big fights and sometimes small fights, but only because I'm watching it with them.

I think they'd be into it a lot more if the US fights were on a bit earlier in the UK. Usually, we have to stay up to 4 or 5am to catch the main event, and by that time, they're practically falling asleep.

Comment

• i only have about two friends that are kind of into boxing just because they do muay thai and it relates but im really the only person i know of outside of some people i box with that keep up with it that much i know a lot of people that will just be interested in talking about pacquiao or mayweather but dont know **** besides them and really dont know that much about those two

Comment

• Half do and half don't. Most are just casual fans that watch only big PPV events

Comment

• No, most of my friends talk about MMA or Pac and Mayweather as if they constitute the entire boxing world. I've heard "Boxing is dead man, MMA is the wave of the future" more than a few times and I just laugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    True story. My Mom is a bigger boxing fan than 99% of my friends. I'll make the 4 hour drive to visit her and my dad every couple of months and on the weekends (if they're on) I'll put it on boxing after dark or shobox and watch by myself. And every single time when my mom hears the announcers (or walks by the TV and sees what's on) she stops down everything she is doing and watches until the fight(s) are over. She may not know who is who (besides MP) but she actually makes some damn good observations at times, lol.

Man she was going nuts during the Lopez/Ortiz fight. I've never seen her that hyped for anything.
                    This is pretty funny. Same thing when I visit my parents (and since I just cut HBO I will visit them often now lol).

My dad tries his best to follow the sport but I get the sense that deep down he is always frustrated by something or he doesn't understand the game all that well, even after years of watching together. My mom on the other hand seems like a natural fan when she does sit down and watch, she has more patience for the sweet science

I have tried very hard in the in the past few years to turn my casual friend into a fanatic without much luck. I know he enjoys it and he went to the Cotto-Margarito II fight, but for as often as I speak about boxing he still doesn't know much outside the big names. I had to plead with him to watch Rios-Alvarado...f-ck him lol.

Comment

• Always find it funny that people will always try say "most my friends watch MMA" when in fact studies show boxing is almost literally two times bigger than MMA in the US. According to the sports business journal boxing has 50 million fans as of 2012 while MMA had 30 million as of 2010 (probably their highest point ever.) Since then it's been said the UFC's business declined by 25% in 2011, then declined again in 2012.

Either people are talking out their asses or the UFC is just way better at promoting so people think they look bigger than they are. I say it's both those things actually. The UFC on FOX ratings show their fan base isn't as big as they were letting on.

Adamek vs Cunningham on NBC reached 3.4 million in a horrible timeslot. The UFC have been getting worse ratings than that in prime time on FOX.

Comment

Working...
                      X