No announcement yet.

Another UK WBO paper champ exposed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigcursedawg View Post
    Oh yeah the guy who had t fought anyone, yeah he barely beat him. Martinez lost two in a row but manages to be champion, sounds like someone else...
    Martinez got a gift decisions over Beltran Jr and Burgos. The fight with Beltran was close and the point deduction was the deciding factor. But the Burgos fight was a robbery and then he barely scrapped by a green Magdaleno.
    Sorry but Martinez is garbage the only reason he's champ it might have something to do with there being no other PR champions and he holds a WBO belt.
    Why are you so hung up on Burns? Burns is certainly not a great fighter but he has beaten some reasonably good fighters, Martinez included (Burgos draw was not a 'robbery') and he is an excessively nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
      There is only one British "elite" fighter. Carl Froch. The rest of your fighters sucks as much as ours, they're just better promoted and hyped by a "fans" like yourself.
      No they are just simply better fighters. That's why all of them won world titles, unified them and made numerous defences. Whereas Poles tend to fight at Euro level and no higher

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Hans Landa View Post
        someone mentioned he wasn't a paper champion... When Ricky won the title he was a true champion,now after getting a gift decision in a fight he clearly lost he is in fact a paper champion
        NO, PolishPummler said Burns didn't win the title in the ring Go back and re-read. Or better yet, read below:

[QUOTE=PolishPummler;13722194]An asterisk should be placed next to every WBO titlist in the UK who had there belt literally handed to them without winning it in the ring:

Enzo
        Cleverly
        Burns
        Last edited by richardt; 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
          britain's best and bravest boxer at the moment, carl froch, is of polish stock
          By Polish stock, you mean one of his Grandparents.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
            He might not be the most skilled, but he's certainly not "garbage". He was set up to lose to Diego Magdaleno, who is a very skilled prospect, and he won that fight convincingly.

That fight was actually Martinez's third gift in a row, if you know how to actually score a fight. But I guess it depends on what you prefer: the guy actually landing clean, solid punches, or the sloth that plods forward and absorbs all of it to the best of his ability.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              britain's best and bravest boxer at the moment, carl froch, is of polish stock

bumhole schnuffter

Comment

There are many paper champs from different countries and organizations.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  wbo has a long tradition of greatness.

darius 23 title defenses
                  joe calzaghe 21 title defenses
                  artur grigorian(everyone remembers him) 17 defenses
                  omar narvaez 16 defenses

burns will be at 30 defenses by the time he can say broken jaw
                  exactly this

Comment

Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
                    We have better chins and more beautiful women. That's good enough for me.
                    With all due respect Bartosz, Poland and beautiful women should not go in the same sentence. Unless there's a "has no" before. I've driven enough times from Poland to Prague to know that for sure. I'm sure you know what i'm talking about.

That's not to say the UK is much better, but it is, if only slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                      Every fighter who gets a decision that most fans disagree with is a paper champion? There sure as hell have been many paper champions in history then. Beltran deserved the decision in my view but it was a close fight, the reaction against it has been a bit ridiculous. Hopefully Burns will recover and Beltran gets a rematch.

As to the British WBO champions, you mean guys like Calzaghe, Benn, Eubank, and Naseem Hamed? if you think any of those were weak champions then your opinion is of zero value to any reasonable person.

The credibility of the WBO is hardly low, look at the names of some of the current WBO champs, Estrada, Rigondeaux, Marquez, Bradley, Quillin, Kovalev, Huck, Wlad Klitschko, not especially weak is it?

I never said anything was weak.. close or not it was obvious to most peoples eyes that Beltran deserved that win so yeah that makes Burns a paper champion and there has been many paper champions indeed hence the phrase "paper champion" even existing

Basically the reason I'm calling him a paper champion now is because he is holding a belt that isn't rightfully his in the eyes of the people

Comment

Working...
                      X