Collapse
No announcement yet.

DAN RAFAEL: "Mayweather-Ortiz Will Be The Best-Selling PPV Fight This Year"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a very good chance it will be, however, I'm not counting out Pac/JMM, once casuals are reminded (or shown for the first time) how close the first 2 fights were and if the Mexican fanbase decides to buy in, we could see some impressive numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
      I agree it will be, but Floyd doesnt exactly deserve all the credit. This undercard is stacked.
      Uh...Maybe not all...BUT MOST! You remove Mayweather from this Card and these fights would be on HBO For Free!

Golden Boy Promotion is just using Mayweather to get more exposure for THEIR FIGHTERS which is SMART!

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
        A PPV is essentially a product.

The better the product, the more people will buy it... especially if it's still the same price.
        oh i kno that, but the majority of ppl are still gonna be buying for the main course, not just the appetizers. at the end of the day, irregardless of the undercard, this fight was gonna do over a million buys. so i kno the undecard will have an effect, but at the end of the day, if u take away floyd it would have bigger effect than if u took away either one or all of the undercard fights and it wouldnt even be close.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
          This card does 2.5m on a bad day. You can get all of mexico hyped for it because 1 ortiz is mexican descent and 2 canelo is on the undercard. Thats 1m buys right there
          I'm not as bullish as you are.

I haven't been to alot of DLH fights, but the ones that I have been to had tons of (mostly chubby) young women who knew no boxing except Oscar.

Unless Ortiz can capture that same non-fan, the Floyd-Oscar number will be tough to reach.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
            Uh...Maybe not all...BUT MOST! You remove Mayweather from this Card and these fights would be on HBO For Free!

Golden Boy Promotion is just using Mayweather to get more exposure for THEIR FIGHTERS which is SMART!
            GBP benefits from the stacked card more than Floyd does.

In fact, it is generous of the main event guy (floyd or whoever) to give up some profit in order to give the fans a deeper card.

But MP also benefits with Vargas on the card

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
              Interesting point, Chups.

Oscar was the guy who would "launch" careers: Floyd, Manny, and to a lesser extent, Hopkins.

It will be interesting to see how Floyd does in that role as the biggest name in the sport. Marquez certainly had good numbers post-Floyd. Ortiz SHOULD be able to use this opportunity to get his brand out there. Nice looking kid. Likeable. GREAT backstory.

If I were Floyd, i would be using my bully pulpit to keep hammering the "improved drug testing" campaign. Every time there was a microphone in my face.

Leading by example is great, and I commend him for that. But he should also put pressure on the commissions and promoters by exploiting the media.
              Before Floyd-Ortiz, Pac-Ortiz would not make as much money as Pac-Marquez. Now that Floyd picked Ortiz, Ortiz is now more popular than Marquez.

Expect a Pac-Ortiz soon.

Comment

Originally posted by madsweeney View Post
                There's a very good chance it will be, however, I'm not counting out Pac/JMM, once casuals are reminded (or shown for the first time) how close the first 2 fights were and if the Mexican fanbase decides to buy in, we could see some impressive numbers.
                But will the non-fan buy in? The TRUE mainstreamer?

is 24/7 as galvanizing with Beristain's subtitles as opposed to Naazim's pearls of wisdom?

Comment

I agree. GBP has really been doing a great job of promoting and are head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to hyping up a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                    GBP benefits from the stacked card more than Floyd does.

In fact, it is generous of the main event guy (floyd or whoever) to give up some profit in order to give the fans a deeper card.

But MP also benefits with Vargas on the card
                    I don't disagree, just saying that Mayweather like him or not is guaranteed to do 1 Million or more in PPV's regardless of who his if fighting and who is on the undercard, of course stacking the card helps with even more sales...everybody involved with the promotion of this fight...WINS!

hopefully the fans get more cards like this!

Comment

I reckon this will do about 1.7-1.8M PPV buys. I mean with the whole card is stacked and we get canelo on it damn it wouldnt surprise me if it hit 2M.

Comment

Working...
                      X