Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Johnson or Rocky Marciano, who ranks higher at HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Welcome back, mate.

It's been a while.
    yes it has mate,, but not long enough for me to forget a friend, its great to see you again mate,,,, let me know what you think of a Johnson Vs Walcott head on collision.

Comment

No offense... But, why are you obsessively comparing Rocky to Jack? It just doesn't seem to make sense. What's next, comparing John L. Sullivan to Wlad Klitchko???

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
        No offense... But, why are you obsessively comparing Rocky to Jack? It just doesn't seem to make sense. What's next, comparing John L. Sullivan to Wlad Klitchko???
        Read the title of this thread. If you don't think it is worthwhile, why are you bothering with it?

Comment

I would have to agree that Jack could have problems with laterial movement boxers that can punch in combination as Jersey Joe did, and did very well. I believe he could cut the ring nicely because opponents certainly ran from him but I'm not sure that a double jab with the correct foot movement was part of his techniques. I might be wrong but the films from that era rarely show that move let alone in the heavyweight class. A step over to cut the ring and a fast double jab is an effective way to deal with laterial movement techniques. Also to get in position to throw punches that the laterial movement boxer is moving into, (moving left/right hands thrown etc.) If Joe could hit him repeatedly he could cause damage, he wasn't heavy handed but he had good punching technique. Johnson was a master at baiting guys in and he could hit hard.
          However the first fantasy included "Power" and Marciano's power is effident in plenty of bouts. That guy was naturally strong and natural puncher with heavy hands, thoughs men hurt when they land. Ray.

Comment

You've compared them in your top 10 heavyweight list surely...

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              You've compared them in your top 10 heavyweight list surely...
              My top 10 is in accordance to skills and accomplishments. And, each fighter being the best of their respective era..

Comment

My top 10 is in accordance to skills and accomplishments. And, each fighter being the best of their respective era..
                How's that any different from what's going on here?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  How's that any different from what's going on here?
                  I'm not just gonna single out only two fighters that are somewhat hard to compare. But, most will agree they both are top tier-ATG's...

Comment

Marciano

Johnson was definitely a better defensive fighter, but I can't see him hurting Rocky enough to win the fight, I think he spends his time backing up & running & being on the ropes, many guys Rocky fought said he hurt their arms when he hit them, the only guy they ever faced that had that type of power, I see Johnson eventually lowering them & getting knocked out late, I also think Charles & Walcott give Johnson a good solid battle with a good solid chance for either to win.

Comment

They were both ahead of the talent around at their respective areas, but i'll go for Rocky. Though, i would be really interested to see how their showdown would've went if they were around at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                      X