No announcement yet.

POLL: Rocky Marciano vs. Evander Holyfield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
    I think Evander would out think Rocky, who only had one dimension and hes also bigger on top of it. Evander is tested against big skilled champions such as Qawi( who naturally is just about as big as Marciano) Bowe, Lewis ect so he wouldn't crumble or wear down the way Charles and Moorer did, and him being knocked out by one punch is something that i just don't see happening.
    I have to disagree with that. Qawi was 5'5 and known for his eating habits. He actually started fighting at 165 lbs.

Qawi gave Holyfield a lot of trouble in the first fight but Holyfield proved his endurance and won. At heavyweight Holyfield would often have trouble with his stamina but not as a cruiserweight.

Rocky relied a lot more on his conditioning and toughness than his KO power but if he landed a solid punch on the chin the effects would be devastating. His real problem was a lack of polished boxing technique and the inaccuracy of his punches.

Comment

marciano was overrated that guy would be eaten alive by true heavy weights. holyfield would destroy him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
        I have to disagree with that. Qawi was 5'5 and known for his eating habits. He actually started fighting at 165 lbs.

Qawi gave Holyfield a lot of trouble in the first fight but Holyfield proved his endurance and won. At heavyweight Holyfield would often have trouble with his stamina but not as a cruiserweight.

Rocky relied a lot more on his conditioning and toughness than his KO power but if he landed a solid punch on the chin the effects would be devastating. His real problem was a lack of polished boxing technique and the inaccuracy of his punches.
        Qawi had eating habbits although that rarely showed when he was fighting, he didn't have that many problems with his stamina especially at cruiser and with that busy pressure style, stamina would be the most important thing that he would need. He and Holyfield fought 15 rounds at a pace of welterweights. I see what you're saying though and Marciano may have been naturally just a bit bigger than Qawi, but the size difference is no where near what people make it out to be. Rocky would only be a cruiser weight by todays standards.

On Holyfield, we also have to consider that he only had about 10 or 11 fights at the time and had only fought limted opposition up until that point, and that also wasn't his best weight class. He stopped him in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
          Qawi had eating habbits although that rarely showed when he was fighting, he didn't have that many problems with his stamina especially at cruiser and with that busy pressure style, stamina would be the most important thing that he would need. He and Holyfield fought 15 rounds at a pace of welterweights. I see what you're saying though and Marciano may have been naturally just a bit bigger than Qawi, but the size difference is no where near what people make it out to be. Rocky would only be a cruiser weight by todays standards.

On Holyfield, we also have to consider that he only had about 10 or 11 fights at the time and had only fought limted opposition up until that point, and that also wasn't his best weight class. He stopped him in the rematch.
          Holyfield stopped Qawi in the rematch but to be honest Qawi was pretty much shot by then.

He had good wins against DeLeon and Ocasio though, stopping both of them in the later rounds.
          Last edited by TheGreatA; 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
            Holyfield stopped Qawi in the rematch but to be honest Qawi was pretty much shot by then.

He had good wins against DeLeon and Ocasio though, stopping both of them in the later rounds.
            Yeah Qawi was shot in the rematch but it was from the war with Evander, he just had nothing left in that rematch and he knew he didn't, which is why he gave little effort.

The De Leon performance was one of the best i have seen Evander, it was just masterful. He effectively cut off the ring, his jab was working and he just out classed De Leon on the intside, and De Leon is one of the greatest cruiser weights of all time. I personally rate the Qawi win higher because of the little experience that Holyfield had at the time but its debatable.

Comment

I'd give Marciano a better chance against Tyson. Holy thrived against fighters who came right at him.

Comment

war................it would be a classic!

Comment

Anybody as advanced as this no name frazier fought that rock fought

oh that's right rock fought in a novice like era anybody who picked him to beat holy is a lunatic​

Comment

Working...
                  X