Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best light heavyweight turned heavyweight champ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
    Also, this.

Charles is a top 20 heavyweight, and probably the greatest at light-heavyweight.
    I did only say since the 80s

Comment

Holyfield was not prime at all.

People were talking about him being washed up as early as 1993.

Spinks' win over Holmes is better.
      Holyfield wasn't considered prime but he then went on to beat tyson, and he's still considered a big win for Lewis and he was just coming off a big win in the bowe rematch, Holmes was past prime by the time spinks fought him and they were some close ar$e fights

Comment

Originally posted by ShamrockXpress View Post
        Holyfield wasn't considered prime but he then went on to beat tyson, and he's still considered a big win for Lewis and he was just coming off a big win in the bowe rematch, Holmes was past prime by the time spinks fought him and they were some close ar$e fights
        Faded Tyson, just out of prison.

Holyfield had already ran through cruiserweight and established himself as the greatest CW ever, beat a still useful Larry Holmes, and gone to war with Bowe twice, by the time he fought Moorer. Which was also a close fight.

But aside from that, Spinks fought a better heavyweight, who was still undefeated and coming off some good wins.

I'm not saying Holyfield isn't a good win, but Spinks' win over Holmes is a GREAT win.

Comment

Faded Tyson, just out of prison.

Holyfield had already ran through cruiserweight and established himself as the greatest CW ever, beat a still useful Larry Holmes, and gone to war with Bowe twice, by the time he fought Moorer. Which was also a close fight.

But aside from that, Spinks fought a better heavyweight, who was still undefeated and coming off some good wins.

I'm not saying Holyfield isn't a good win, but Spinks' win over Holmes is a GREAT win.
          I suppose your right, and moorer was then destroyed by a post prime Holyfield, his best win after the Moorer loss was probably the mercer fight, underrated win that, he was trouble for anyone

Comment

Originally posted by ShamrockXpress View Post
            I suppose your right, and moorer was then destroyed by a post prime Holyfield, his best win after the Moorer loss was probably the mercer fight, underrated win that, he was trouble for anyone
            Mercer was a good win.

Man if his head was screwed on straight, I reckon he would've been a lot more than trouble. Shame he was a bit odd upstairs.

Comment

Ezzard above all, he was able to batter Rocky when he was himself past retirement age.

Spinks after that.

Jones may be amazing but hes still an amazing MW/SMW his best weights so he doesnt figure in this thread.

Archie Moore should get special mention though he never won a title at HW, I believe, he was outstanding, the Roy Jones of his day.
              Last edited by DreamFighter; 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Mercer was a good win.

Man if his head was screwed on straight, I reckon he would've been a lot more than trouble. Shame he was a bit odd upstairs.
                The shots he took from Morrison before scoring one of the most brutal KO's of all time, I still think he won his fight with Lewis, a motivated mercer could have cleaned up the division

Comment

Spinks actually had a reign as heavyweight champion defeating several heavyweights while Jones only beat one weak heavyweight champ and never fought at that weight again. Moorer got KOed by Foreman in his first tittle defense. I would rank them Spinks #1 and the other two about even.

Comment

Spinks, Moorer, Jones at HW
                    Spinks/Jones then Moorer at LHW

Any credit Moorer gets for beating Holyfield he loses for getting one punched by a fat 45yr old.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtThouFurious? View Post
                      The correct answer is Ezzard Charles
                      Bingo. I'm going with this^^^^

Comment

Working...
                      X