No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer: Canelo vs. Cotto Bout is Still Possible

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
    Fight was close no way it was wide for either guy it could have gone either way by 1 or 2 points for either fighter the rounds were all close except for maybe 1 or 2 rounds

Comment

• Originally posted by fitefan View Post
      give me a ****ing break

trout did cotto a favor. canelo would've margarito'd cotto
      You are giving Alvarez way, way too much credit. Alvarez hasn't proven that he is capable of beating a top contender. He has fought nothing but C-class fighters so far (and that includes Mosley at the end of his career). I think Cotto, who has lost his last two fights would still beat Alvarez. However, considering the losing streak, Alvarez has a much better chance of beating him now than he would have a year ago. Against Trout, Alvarez would get stopped or take a worse beating than Cotto and Schafer knows it.

If Alvarez wants to prove that he is the best in the division and deserving of a shot at Mayweather, he should fight the winner of last night's fight (Trout) instead of the loser (Cotto) and prove that he is capable of beating one of the best guys at 154. Unfortunately, Schafer will continue to protect his asset by putting him in the ring against a vulnerable Miguel Cotto or worst, moving him up to 160 to fight even more stiffs so that he can avoid Trout completely. There is absolutely no reason for Mayweather to fight Alvarez until he proves he can beat a top contender. At least Guererro beat a former champion who was still good enough to be a champion.

In terms of the score, I had Trout winning by four points.
      Last edited by big_james10; 12-03-2012, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• If Canelo beats Cotto, people would say he was passed his prime, just like with Mosley.

Comment

• Cotto didn't lose........

In my opinion, Cotto won that fight on Saturday. These judges have an agenda for the three best fighters of this era, Mayweather, Cotto, and Pacquiao. Mayweather will get robbed next I guess. About the fight though. Cotto came out looking really good and I had him winning the first 5 out of 7 rounds. Trout came on late but ring generalship, defense, and experience goes to Cotto. His face bruises so easily and I wonder if that made Trout look more effective than he actually was. He won about 5 rounds but Cotto won and it's sad that the judges scored the fight like that. I knew he was going to get robbed as soon as the decision came as quick as it did. What you have to ask yourself is, did the champion fight like the champion? Or did he fight like the challenger? Austin Trout is a fighter who likes to go through the motions and fights to survive. For him to be the bigger fighter, he didn't impose himself to be that. The judges should have been asking themselves how a fighter who is clearly bigger and has most advantages in a fight, allow himself to be stalked and backed up so frequently. Cotto should fight on and should get the Alvarez fight. He would win it with his boxing IQ, defense, and experience once again. If Gomez can outbox Alvarez, Cotto will win in style. Make the fight for May 2013!
          Last edited by GOD-FR33; 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
            In my opinion, Cotto won that fight on Saturday. These judges have an agenda for the three best fighters of this era, Mayweather, Cotto, and Pacquiao. Mayweather will get robbed next I guess. About the fight though. Cotto came out looking really good and I had him winning the first 5 out of 7 rounds. Trout came on late but ring generalship, defense, and experience goes to Cotto. His face bruises so easily and I wonder if that made Trout look more effective than he actually was. He won about 5 rounds but Cotto won and it's sad that the judges scored the fight like that. I knew he was going to get robbed as soon as the decision came as quick as it did. What you have to ask yourself is, did the champion fight like the champion? Or did he fight like the challenger? Austin Trout is a fighter who likes to go through the motions and fights to survive. For him to be the bigger fighter, he didn't impose himself to be that. The judges should have been asking themselves how a fighter who is clearly bigger and has most advantages in a fight, allow himself to be stalked and backed up so frequently. Cotto should fight on and should get the Alvarez fight. He would win it with his boxing IQ, defense, and experience once again. If Gomez can outbox Alvarez, Cotto will win in style. Make the fight for May 2013!
            WTF are you talking about you thought Cotto won......you need to learn how to score fights bro! The fight was closer than those wack ass score cards but trout won 8-4/7-5

Comment

• Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
              You are giving Alvarez way, way too much credit. Alvarez hasn't proven that he is capable of beating a top contender. He has fought nothing but C-class fighters so far (and that includes Mosley at the end of his career). I think Cotto, who has lost his last two fights would still beat Alvarez. However, considering the losing streak, Alvarez has a much better chance of beating him now than he would have a year ago. Against Trout, Alvarez would get stopped or take a worse beating than Cotto and Schafer knows it.

If Alvarez wants to prove that he is the best in the division and deserving of a shot at Mayweather, he should fight the winner of last night's fight (Trout) instead of the loser (Cotto) and prove that he is capable of beating one of the best guys at 154. Unfortunately, Schafer will continue to protect his asset by putting him in the ring against a vulnerable Miguel Cotto or worst, moving him up to 160 to fight even more stiffs so that he can avoid Trout completely. There is absolutely no reason for Mayweather to fight Alvarez until he proves he can beat a top contender. At least Guererro beat a former champion who was still good enough to be a champion.

In terms of the score, I had Trout winning by four points.
              it's not about giving canelo too much credit. it's about knowing miguel and his lack of conditioning. he can look great against someone his size or smaller but against those he's smaller than he struggles

canelo's naturally bigger and stronger than cotto not to mention his punches are technical sound and he sets them up nicely without getting overaggressive. i see cotto looking great early but he'll fade like he always does and canelo will punish him

i see canelo possibly coming from behind and winning by decision or late stoppage. only way i see cotto winning is if he can fight 12 hard rounds and imo he can't do that against a bigger guy. just look at the 1st margarito fight who is not as skilled as canelo is

Comment

• Originally posted by cotto#1p4p View Post
                I wouldn't watch Cotto vs Canelo, I wouldn't want my last image of Cotto being beaten from post to post by the younger Canelo, thus ending his career as a stepping stone.

Cotto has no business fighting at 154, he should go down to WW, make a fight against an OK opponent and retire.
                i hear ya, dude

Comment

Working...
                X