No announcement yet.

ESPN Classics right now...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Classics right now...

airing Ali's fights. Just showed Foreman, now Frazier 3.

Tune in!!

It's great they are showing the Ali bouts again but I have had espn classic for about 12 years and I have seen all their Ali bouts over and over. Supposedly they have the largest video fight collection in the world at their disposal and continue to show us the same 40 bouts over and over(for the last ten years).

It's great for the fan that never seen those bouts or anyone that wishes to watch them again, but if you ask me,ESPN should dig into their archive and show us some action that isn't a rerun.

Now that I vented...

I hope you enjoyed the classic Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      It's great they are showing the Ali bouts again but I have had espn classic for about 12 years and I have seen all their Ali bouts over and over. Supposedly they have the largest video fight collection in the world at their disposal and continue to show us the same 40 bouts over and over(for the last ten years).

It's great for the fan that never seen those bouts or anyone that wishes to watch them again, but if you ask me,ESPN should dig into their archive and show us some action that isn't a rerun.

Now that I vented...

I hope you enjoyed the classic Ali.
      Ideally ESPN Classic would expand their library. Of course that involves spending money and it might take awhile before they realize how stale their content has become. And as we know by now, the hardcore boxing fan is always the lowest priority.

Comment

Eh. I'm sure everyone's seen those fights. I respect them for paying their dues to Ali but they should show some of his lesser known fights also, and even the first Frazier fight (I found that match much better then the third seeing as they were both closer to their primes and didn't have as much mileage as the third fight)

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
          Eh. I'm sure everyone's seen those fights. I respect them for paying their dues to Ali but they should show some of his lesser known fights also, and even the first Frazier fight (I found that match much better then the third seeing as they were both closer to their primes and didn't have as much mileage as the third fight)
          For brutality 3 was better, but for sheer skill set at an all time Torrid heavyweight pace there is no better fight than the first.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            For brutality 3 was better, but for sheer skill set at an all time Torrid heavyweight pace there is no better fight than the first.
            They displayed a greater skillset in the first fight too imo.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
              They displayed a greater skillset in the first fight too imo.

I thought that Frazier's skillset was better in fight one. But I rated the 1975 Ali as better than the 1971 Ali. I put this down to him being more 'fight fit' having been very active thoroughout the early 70s. Ali was a little rusty when he came back and ideally he needed more than Quarry and Bonavena before meeting a prime Frazier.

In the Thrilla in Manilla I thought that Ali was more accurate than he was four years before, his combination work better, he was able to dance in the last couple of rounds too (his dancing ended very early in fight 1) and his workrate/punchrate was a fair bit higher than in 1971 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                I thought that Frazier's skillset was better in fight one. But I rated the 1975 Ali as better than the 1971 Ali. I put this down to him being more 'fight fit' having been very active thoroughout the early 70s. Ali was a little rusty when he came back and ideally he needed more than Quarry and Bonavena before meeting a prime Frazier.

In the Thrilla in Manilla I thought that Ali was more accurate than he was four years before, his combination work better, he was able to dance in the last couple of rounds too (his dancing ended very early in fight 1) and his workrate/punchrate was a fair bit higher than in 1971 as well.
                not copletelyisagreeing but his looking better in the 3rd fight could also be attributed to fraziers decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                  not copletelyisagreeing but his looking better in the 3rd fight could also be attributed to fraziers decline.

I could agree regarding Frazier's decline (head movement wise). This might conceivably flattered Ali's accuracy I suppose. But Ali's combinations were superb throughout the 1975 fight.

I also think Ali shipped more punishment in fight 3, at least earlier on. Rounds 5 and 6 were brutal, clear Frazier rounds. Yet Ali was out dancing in round 7. Despite this, Ali's workrate was higher than in 1971 too.

I'd honestly give the 1975 Ali a better shot against the 1971 Frazier, than the 1971 Ali.

Comment

Working...
                  X