No announcement yet.

Gegard Mousasi and Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gegard Mousasi and Boxing

After having captured multiple titles in Dream and Strikeforce, along with a recent win over K-1 heavyweight champion Kyotaro, it doesn’t seem like there could be much left for Gegard Mousasi, or is there?

Recent reports have Mousasi contemplating entering the 2012 Olympics in boxing.

When asked about this prospect, Mousasi recently told MMAWeekly.com, “I’ve been training with the Olympic guys of Holland, they saw all (my) potential, but it’s going to be a little bit difficult.

“In the Olympics I think I have a lack of experience that those guys who have 100-200 amateur fights. At least as professional you can build up and get better opponents each time.”

With that said, Mousasi then debated entering the professional ranks after his upcoming fight – if the promotion can find a suitable replacement for his injured original opponent, Mike Kyle – as part of Strikeforce’s April 9 fight card in San Diego.

“I wanted to see how this fight would go and then make my boxing professional debut, but it looks like it would be difficult to fight in Germany or the U.S., so maybe (I’ll) just focus back on the Olympics,” he commented.

An amateur boxing champion in his adopted home country of the Netherlands, Mousasi could make history should the opportunity present itself.

“After this fight I’m going to talk my manager and see if there’s qualification for the tournament for the Olympics and maybe I’ll give it a shot,” he concluded.

MMAweekly.com
    Last edited by monaroCountry; 04-01-2011, 06:58 PM.

Originally posted by monaroCountry View Post

After having captured multiple titles in Dream and Strikeforce, along with a recent win over K-1 heavyweight champion Kyotaro, it doesn’t seem like there could be much left for Gegard Mousasi, or is there?
    Well, there's always fighting guys like Henderson, Mo, and maybe the UFC 205'ers if cross-promotion fights start happening.

Comment

What´s with the ******ed article. What's left for Mousasi? Yeah he should just retire before his mid 20s, he has already accomplished everything there is.

Comment

Originally posted by boxkickboxmma View Post
        What´s with the ******ed article. What's left for Mousasi? Yeah he should just retire before his mid 20s, he has already accomplished everything there is.
        Dan Henderson would knock him the **** out and I'd love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
          Dan Henderson knock him out? maybe if hes lucky but knocking a LHW K-1 level striker who competes against HW fighters is very unlikely. Gegard is very under rated by many people. Its probably best for him to take up boxing, more money and fame in boxing. Its really one of the few sports that he hasnt conquered.

Comment

Its really one of the few sports that he hasnt conquered.
            Agreed; him conquering wrestling, BJJ, taekwondo, judo, cycling, 100m sprint, football, basketball, baseball, marathon running, cricket, archery, swimming, ballroom dancing, fishing, hot dog eating, competitive belching, gurning etc. was very impressive, I remember it well.

Comment

Dan Henderson knock him out? maybe if hes lucky but knocking a LHW K-1 level striker who competes against HW fighters is very unlikely. Gegard is very under rated by many people. Its probably best for him to take up boxing, more money and fame in boxing. Its really one of the few sports that he hasnt conquered.
              He'd get more fame staying in MMA because if not he'd most likely be at crusierweight which is the one of the least popular divisions in boxing.

And it's hard thinking Hendo can't break anybody's chin. Just because somebody's a professional fighter doesn't mean their chin can't get cracked. Remember when Rampage knocked out that K-1 fighter?

Comment

He'd get more fame staying in MMA because if not he'd most likely be at crusierweight which is the one of the least popular divisions in boxing.

And it's hard thinking Hendo can't break anybody's chin. Just because somebody's a professional fighter doesn't mean their chin can't get cracked. Remember when Rampage knocked out that K-1 fighter?

Even at crusierweight he would get more fame a fortune than in MMA. look at Shane Carwin for example when he was a belt holder, the guy was only paid 20k to show and 20k to win, thats pathetic. Boxing has far more money especially for an international fighter.

Hendo can have a lucky punch but this is very unlikely against a top stand up fighter like Gegard. Gegard would punish most if not all MMA LHW standing, yes even Jon Jones who looks very sloppy.
                Last edited by monaroCountry; 04-04-2011, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Mousasi vs B-hop ?

Comment

man hendo is cool and all but gegard would make his age show

Comment

Working...
                    X