Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mares Fans: Do you think the Ponce De Leon fight is a bad move?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a bad move, ponce's power is no joke. and this is mares first fight at this weight.

Comment

Not a bad move at all. He wants to be the best and he wants to be great, this is how you get there. I got Mares winning a very very close decision. MD probably.

Comment

Originally posted by boxfan1983 View Post
        I like Mares because I like gritty fighters that do what they have to do to win, even if its dirty at times. With that being said, I think his move up is a terrible idea. I dont think Mares has let his body grow into a weight class, I understand his options at SuperBantum are slim because of promotional issues "but" PDL isn't a walk in the park esspecailly for a 1st fight in a new weight class. As much as I like Mares, I foresee PDL winning.
        This is a very dangerous fight for Mares, a stoppage win for PDL wouldn't surprise me but I'm still going with Mares. He likes to come forward and bang but he's more technical than a lot of people realize and I think that would help him win this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          This is a very dangerous fight for Mares, a stoppage win for PDL wouldn't surprise me but I'm still going with Mares. He likes to come forward and bang but he's more technical than a lot of people realize and I think that would help him win this fight.
          To be honest I think its the other way around, PDL is alot more technical then people give him credit for. After PDL's 1strd KO loss to Juan Manuel Lopez he really changed his game from a lunging south paw to a puncher boxer.

Comment

Well hopefully Mares wins but i see PDL too big for him, Mares aint afraid to lose that 0

Comment

i got a bad feeling about this one. i'm getting the same feeling i got about cotto's fight with trout. big southpaws for relatively short money, with big fights on the horizon that are put at risk?

mares does have some technical ability. that said, so did broner. ponce is an odd cat. he's a mexican with a big punch with a good gas tank and chin, but he's also a southpaw and awkward.

bad move, IMO. he should have at least taken a year to grow into 126. if mares gets past him he's a beast. the smart money may very well be on de leon. we'll have to see what the odds look like.

right now i'm favoring ponce. i want to see what they look like when they weigh in.

Comment

Not at all. as a fan, I want my favorites to consistently fight the best possible opponents. I don't give two fux about how much they make either. I pay my share to watch them and I expect the best fights possible. Ponce is a good fight right now.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I seem to be in the minority, but I think Mares wins this clearly. He's a better fighter than Ponce and his skills are underrated. I still see Ponce as a crude, hard hitting southpaw. World class fighter, yes, but not Mares' caliber. I don't think his size is enough for him to win this one, Mares will take a UD.

Comment

Originally posted by boxfan1983
                    Quote:

Thats true he could go back down but the marketability of his "0" will be gone and if he loses by KO or TKO who knows how he'll recover...
                    this is part of the problem today. worrying about a fighters " marketability ". this is sporting competition. someone will always lose. making a big deal about perfect records is why some fighters are so protected today. having a zero has been marketed as something spectacular. its really not. gatti and dlh lost many times, and people still wanted to see them. the only marketability anyone should be concerned about is, will people come to watch this guy fight for what goes on in the ring? nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCa$hCanelo View Post
                      this is part of the problem today. worrying about a fighters " marketability ". this is sporting competition. someone will always lose. making a big deal about perfect records is why some fighters are so protected today. having a zero has been marketed as something spectacular. its really not. gatti and dlh lost many times, and people still wanted to see them. the only marketability anyone should be concerned about is, will people come to watch this guy fight for what goes on in the ring? nothing else.

Im more referring to losing his "0" taking a fight he doesnt have to. I know its brave of him to take a risk but in no way would anyone accuse him of ducking PDL, competition at Superbantum maybe slim but if he'd fight at that weight for the next year & PDL is still a champ, this fight would be of bigger magnitude with Mares having more of a chance being the favorite considering he'd be at a more stable weight.

Comment

Working...
                      X