Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you imagine what people would say about Pernell Whitaker if he fought today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now a days they call boxing running. But that is mostly Newbies to the sport.

Pernell was active offensively and you heard a lot of ohhs and ahhs. He was also an under-rated body puncher (Bute throws the same uppercut).

Nobody wanted to step up to Pernell until he got older.

Watch him against Santos Cardona who threw like 1000 punches at Pernell during the fight and you tell me

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
      Terrible post.
      What's terrible about it ?, he's right, Sweet Pea's style doesn't represent boxing, no style does because there's just so many and a lot of people did find Pea boring, no getting around that.

Comment

whitaker puts punches together better that floyd, and he's at least half of the most popular fighter on the planet "floydpacman"

he really wasnt a dull fighter.
        late period hopkins is a boring fighter. most of his fights take place more than a step out of his opponents range. whitaker could make you miss from the pocket if you were standing on his feet. it's maybe the hardest feat in boxing and it's rarely lost on the layman. it looks pretty spectacular.

i think you'd get more oos and ahhs than you do from a lot of the mayweather fights.

my only question is how he would fit into the picture as a "star"

the world has changed. i'm not saying this is an entirely new phenomenon, but manny and floyd are stars largely for their exploits outside of the ring. in their case, they feed off of eachother and that has created their star. they are also seen as good and evil.

whitaker gets a lot less credit than he deserves for his offense, especially as a LW

he still couldnt break an egg
        Last edited by New England; 11-17-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
          Terrible post.
          Because yours is sooooooo much better. Great input, bruh

Comment

Whitaker has to be one of the most underrated boxers in the history of the sport.

The only defense that can rival Whitaker's is Floyd's, THAT'S IT. It'd be a toss up on who would win that fight, but it'd probably be a rather boring fight, given the similar styles.

The only fight he lost when he was prime or still good was to Ramirez in 88', which he avenaged handily a year later. Besides that, he had wins over R. Mayweather, Nelson, Diaz, and a draw that he should have won over Chavez in his prime. When he was past prime-still good, he had wins over Vasquez and Rivera. He lost to De La Hoya and Trinidad when he was way past it at that point. It's kind of sad that Whitaker came in right before Mosley, De La Hoya, and Trinidad did, so he was old by the time they were in line to fight him. I still think that a prime Whitaker beats prime versions of Oscar and Felix, I'm sorry.

Pernell should have retired after the 2nd Rivera fight though. He would have been 39-1 and wouldn't have suffered the L's to Felix and Oscar. Still, he compeated with Oscar in their fight a little bit.

I'd still have to favor Floyd all-time over Whitaker though, especially if Floyd beats Pacquiao, Martinez, or Khan. Whitaker has a good resume, but it could have been really good if he'd not come in after Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and Benitez and right before De La Hoya, Mosley, and Trinidad.

Don't anyone cry foul at my statement of Floyd over Pernell though. Whitaker has a solid resume, but not great, and Floyd still has a good all-time resume (G. Hernandez, Manfredy, Corrales, Chavez, C. Hernandez, Castillo, N'dou, Judah, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Ortiz).
            Last edited by 4Corners; 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
              Whitaker has to be one of the most underrated boxers in the history of the sport.

The only defense that can rival Whitaker's is Floyd's, THAT'S IT. It'd be a toss up on who would win that fight, but it'd probably be a rather boring fight, given the similar styles.

The only fight he lost when he was prime or still good was to Ramirez in 88', which he avenaged handily a year later. Besides that, he had wins over R. Mayweather, Nelson, Diaz, and a draw that he should have won over Chavez in his prime. When he was past prime-still good, he had wins over Vasquez and Rivera. He lost to De La Hoya and Trinidad when he was way past it at that point. It's kind of sad that Whitaker came in right before Mosley, De La Hoya, and Trinidad did, so he was old by the time they were in line to fight him. I still think that a prime Whitaker beats prime versions of Oscar and Felix, I'm sorry.

Pernell should have retired after the 2nd Rivera fight though. He would have been 39-1 and wouldn't have suffered the L's to Felix and Oscar. Still, he compeated with Oscar in their fight a little bit.

I'd still have to favor Floyd all-time over Whitaker though, especially if Floyd beats Pacquiao, Martinez, or Khan. Whitaker has a good resume, but it could have been really good if he'd not come in after Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and Benitez and right before De La Hoya, Mosley, and Trinidad.

Don't anyone cry foul at my statement of Floyd over Pernell though. Whitaker has a solid resume, but not great, and Floyd still has a good all-time resume (G. Hernandez, Manfredy, Corrales, Chavez, C. Hernandez, Castillo, N'dou, Judah, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Ortiz).
              Hey man, I think you're a solid poster. But I scratch my head when I hear you say Whitaker "competed" with DLH. Personally, I felt he did much more than compete. I think he won the fight...?

Comment

The only people that would say this is the pacfarts...and they think "boxing" is running into the center of the ring and swinging wildly until someone goes down...so yeah, their opinion doesn't mean much anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                  Hey man, I think you're a solid poster. But I scratch my head when I hear you say Whitaker "competed" with DLH. Personally, I felt he did much more than compete. I think he won the fight...?
                  I don't think he beat Oscar, but he was past it at that point anyway. It was really close, but I just felt Pernell didn't come back with quite enough to convince me he solidly won the fight. A past prime Pernell Whitaker did make Oscar look bad a lot throughout the fight though.

I thought the fight was closer than the judges had it (115-111, 116-110, 116-110). I had the fight 114-113 De La Hoya, and that's coming from a hardcore Whitaker fan and a guy that never got into De La Hoya.

Could have gone either way in my honest opinion.

The Whitaker-De La Hoya fight is why I laugh when people say Floyd, in his prime, wouldn't have beaten Oscar in his prime. The Floyd haters say that because Floyd won the SD over Oscar in 07'. But, did anyone but the judges and Floyd haters REALLY have that fight as a SD???

Floyd out landed Oscar by over 100 punches and landed at a way way way higher connection rate. I had the fight 8-3-1 for Floyd and I was being generous to Oscar. Oscar didn't do s**t after the first 4-5 rounds.

Floyd in his prime, would have UD Oscar at 130, 135, 140, and 147.

I'd favor Floyd in a fight with Whitaker as well, simply because Floyd has one of the best straight right leads in boxing, and he'd hit Whitaker with that.

Comment

Hindsight is always 20/20. Fighters should just do what they do to the best of their ability no matter what people say at the time, because, at least in my opinion, History is the judge of a boxer's greatness. Only time will tell how fighters active now will be looked upon in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
                      I could see it now. All Sweet Pea does is run. Pernell hits like a girl. Pernell isn't a good offensive fighter. How can he win fights fighting on the back foot? He's a boring counter puncher that isn't aggressive. Lol so many people don't appreciate what boxing really is. What a shame!

Whitaker fought nothing like this. While Mayweather can boast of his great accuracy, Whitaker had a great workrate in his prime. Few can claim to have landed over 500 punches in a fight as he did. More often than not, he'd fight opponents at close range and work them over with combinations. This while barely getting touched himself.

Larry Merchant among others was a huge fan of Whitaker. The main reason he wasn't entertaining, aside from his lack of KO power, is because he operated at such a high level compared to his opponents which made his fights rather one-sided for the most part.
                      Last edited by TheGreatA; 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X