Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nicholas Walter finally speaks on Lomancheko fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arum was never serious about making this fight anyway. He was told by another network that they would pay him more if he moved the date but he refused. So instead we get Martinez-Lomachenko. How about putting the blame on the person who really ****ed up the fight, Arum.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
      He wanted to be paid almost as much as Lomachenko in case he got robbed against a Top Rank fighter for the second time in a row. You've been watching boxing long enough to know that when you fight a Top Rank fighter on a Top Rank card you have to KO Top Rank A-sides because you not getting the decision. Floyd talked about Arum sending fighters away with an L, years ago. Mikey was smart enough to hold out, keep his 0, and get his freedom
      Walters and Loma are Top Rank fighters.

Jason Sosa is not a Top Rank fighter

Comment

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
        Stop...You don't always have to pick the anti-top rank, hbo side.

This is exactly what it is...Walters did not believe he could beat Lomachenko.
        He didn't want the fight for that price and I don't blame him. I don't think $800k is an outrageous demand when the other guy is getting $850k and neither guys are major seat sellers. But Walters has the better resume and has headlined more cards. If you can afford to pay Loma $750k against a bum on the Bradley undercard (a fight in an empty stadium btw) you can pay Walters $800k for the main event. And Showtime was offering Bob more money for the fight than HBO was offering him. Bob didn't put the fight on the open market to the highest bidder. He didn't want to make the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
          Walters and Loma are Top Rank fighters.

Jason Sosa is not a Top Rank fighter
          Walters and Sosa are co-promoted. Sosa signed a co-promotions deal with Top Rank in October. Loma is full top rank

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
            He's co-promoted. Sosa had just signed with Top Rank a couple months before the fight. He's also co-promoted. Loma is full Top Rank
            Sosa is only co-promoted along with Top Rank. Sosa already had the loss and 3 draws. They really wanted Walters to win

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2016 View Post
              That fight was clearly fixed, no man should have to be punched that many times below the belt even with all the low blows and blatant fouls by Salido the fight was very close but as said the constant low blows and dirty wrestling should have seen Saldio DQed.
              It was being refereed but Laurence Cole so I would call it incompetence before I'd call it a fix.

Anyone calling for a bigger purse for Loma-Walters is out of touch with what guys normally get paid in that neighbourhood. $1.4m is already a big purse. I can see where Walters is coming from too though. It's a risky fight. But everyone else in the neighbourhood has taken the same risks.

Comment

These manlets don't deserve big $.

Walters was getting a nice paycheck for a miniature man.

Now he gets no paycheck and hbo will probably move on from him.

These fighters are completely delusional. Another ****** with a degree from the Collazo school of business.

Comment

Maybe they would get paid more if both fighters were with Haymon. But the whole robbing you thing, hes being a little bit paranoid i guess because of what happened in the Sosa fight. Now what happens? Does he not fight like Mikey? Cause i think Arum is mad he didnt take what was given to him.

Comment

People won't admit it but Arum's comments (in the original post) on Haymon distorting the market with overpaid purses was 100% correct. This is what happens; guys don't want to take risky fights because the money just isn't there relative to what they were getting paid for easier fights - or what they ar seeing across the street with Haymon fighters.

Haymon, in his desire to seduce fighters into joining/staying with him, overpaid wildly, burning through investment money. You can't expect these the other promotional outfit to take losses on fights when they actually try to run a sustainable model.

Now the PBC money is drying up, the market will hopefully re-calibrate itself and purses actually starting making sense again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                      It was being refereed but Laurence Cole so I would call it incompetence before I'd call it a fix.

Anyone calling for a bigger purse for Loma-Walters is out of touch with what guys normally get paid in that neighbourhood. $1.4m is already a big purse. I can see where Walters is coming from too though. It's a risky fight. But everyone else in the neighbourhood has taken the same risks.
                      But another network is offering more money for the fight. It was only $100k more but that's $100k closer to making the fight possible. Now you have Walters up to $650k. Loma's gotta give up something too. He can give up $75k from that $850 he's making. Now Walters is at $725 and Loma is at $775k. That seems a lot more reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                      X