No announcement yet.

The Dempsey roll??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dempsey roll??

How do i got about using The Dempsey roll and how could I build the endurance to do it for over 30 sec which is my max out point on atm

This is a great question!!!

Comment

Probably best to think of it in terms of a dance step. Don't really think of it in terms of fighting at first; you can add that later.

Practice it in the mirror and get the muscle memory down, and then worry about the conditioning later. It's all about muscle memory.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyDempsey View Post
        Probably best to think of it in terms of a dance step. Don't really think of it in terms of fighting at first; you can add that later.

Practice it in the mirror and get the muscle memory down, and then worry about the conditioning later. It's all about muscle memory.
        cheers i really only use it in shadowboxing as it is im gonna take your advice and maybe i'll get to use it in sparring soon

Comment

Originally posted by ad98 View Post
          cheers i really only use it in shadowboxing as it is im gonna take your advice and maybe i'll get to use it in sparring soon
          Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll master it in no time. Just remember to stick with it and you'll get it down.

Comment

It's just rolling under punches from left to right.

There is no special way to improve. It's just a method of evading a punch. So just do it while sparring, shadowboxing, while waiting for microwave to finish heating food. etc etc.

Comment

The trick is to punch while you roll. That requires good balance, and a feel for when your weight shifts, so you punch right.

Comment

it's just hooks from side to side nothing more nothing less and thats from a anime what makes you think that was anything close to the ones from the anime?

Comment

Originally posted by sugar555 View Post
                  it's just hooks from side to side nothing more nothing less and thats from a anime what makes you think that was anything close to the ones from the anime?
                  You mean Ippo I know the difference between that one and the ''real dempsey roll'' I discovered it trough Ippo but I quickly found the real version you know without the figure 8 movement and all that stuff

Comment

The Dempsey Roll

The Dempsey roll basically means bobbbing and weaving under a punch, closing in and countering, usually with a hook to the head or body. Learn to punch out of a crouch, learn head movement, learn the slip and slide that it requires. You learn the usual ways: punching the heavy bag out of a crouch, shadow boxing with your head not going above a certain height, and sparring. Marciano learned to punch hard out of a crouch by dropping all the way down butt touching calf and punching on the way up. If you do this wrong you will be walking into punches without the ability to avoid or counter and you will get destroyed so practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Working...
                    X