No announcement yet.

Fluidity and Rhythm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluidity and Rhythm

I've been told that I'm too damn stiff. Trainer tells me I need to develop rhythm to become fluid.

How did you overcome your stiffness to become smooth?

See if you can video yourself shadow boxing.
    Also there are different speeds to shadow at, slow methodical and steady.
    Up tempo and using a 360d spacing. NEVER extend your punches all the way out and work with 3 min. rds and a 1 min. rest!

Watch yourself and evaluate yourself with help from your trainer, be honest!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      See if you can video yourself shadow boxing.
      Also there are different speeds to shadow at, slow methodical and steady.
      Up tempo and using a 360d spacing. NEVER extend your punches all the way out and work with 3 min. rds and a 1 min. rest!

Watch yourself and evaluate yourself with help from your trainer, be honest!

Ray
      Hi Ray

Why do you advise against full extension while shadow boxing?

Comment

Elbow injuries occur with full extensions when working speed!
        When you work the heavy bag your punch should land far before your lock out occurs! If your adding shoulders hips and pronating correctly the lock out is not something your elbow needs with high repetitions. I never taught that!
        Ray

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          I've been told that I'm too damn stiff. Trainer tells me I need to develop rhythm to become fluid.

How did you overcome your stiffness to become smooth?
          As far as rhythm, skipping rope is great & probably #1. Eye hand rhythm come from the speed bag and double ended bag. As far as fluidity, you should really focus on your stretching also swimming the breaststroke will do miracles. if no pool is readily available use a resistance band.

Comment

This is gonna sound silly but learn how to dance
            BTW
            Mc'Lovin don't dance

Comment

Why are you so damn stiff, is the question to ask yourself.
              How's your mobility and flexibility, hips, shoulders, back, legs etc?
              Learn to relax, its a mental thing that you have to tell yourself until you automatically do it in the ring.
              Rhythm comes from experience, but sometimes too much rhythm can be timed by your opponent and they'll capitalize on your timing. But in your case I'm guessing your coach is complaining about your rhythm because your timing is off when you're either putting punches together, moving, or both.

Comment

Using a heavy bag just remember that not every punch needs to come at 100% power. I have a hard straight right so what I do is throw a couple jabs for speed (or even at half speed) before throwing that hard straight. Changing speed is as important to boxing as it is as to pitching in baseball.

Not everything needs to be as hard as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Mc,Lovin View Post
                  This is gonna sound silly but learn how to dance
                  BTW
                  Mc'Lovin don't dance
                  I've often wondered about the dance thing and if something like this might help out with rhythm:

Comment

Working...
                  X