No announcement yet.

A tale of two Canadain Hope fulls

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tale of two Canadain Hope fulls

In 1984 us canucks had two world amateur champs going in to the LA OLY GAMES. The whole hockey crazed nation was hoping shaun O sullivan a light middleweight and Willie Dewitt a Heavey weight would come home with the gold.
    They both managed Silver Medals with shaun losing to frank tate and willie to man that tyson lost to in the oly trials henry tillman.

Both of are boys were knockout punchers with Willie having knocked Henry with one punch in an earlier Amateur bout.

They both embarked on proffesional carreers with shaun signing with mike trainer of sugar ray leonard fame and winning his first 11 until running into his first loss against future champ simon brown. Shaun ending his carreer at 23-5
    but ended up with puglism demtia.

Willie signed on with some texans and produced a winning streak until getting knocked out by bert cooper who within a few fights almost knocked out Evander Holyfield. Willie had more fights and even beat his olympic nemisis henry Tillman by a one sided decsion. He decided to retire and now is a successful lawyer for a firm in calgary.

I guess my point to telling this tale is that both fellows had great success as amateurs and some failures as pros. One left the boxing game with his facluties intact and the other was not so lucky. As fans we are entertained by these fighters but also wish the best for our retired warriors.

I had never heard of them. I wasn't born either when they won their medals.

Comment

Working...
    X