Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you are a southpaw, how do you counter the straight right from orthodox fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you are a southpaw, how do you counter the straight right from orthodox fighters?

the straight right is the best weapon for an orthodox fighter to use against a southpaw, so how does the southpaw counter it?

distance: stepping into punching range only when ready to attack then stepping out and maintaining a distance that would require an opponent to step in under fire. ex. pacquiao did this very well against hatton, who jumped in with a wild right hand that pac ducked under and countered to hurt hatton the first time. also, judah/ cotto, the first counter uppercut that had cotto dancing.

movement: generally, when circling your opponent, a southpaw is taught to step towards the opponent's jab hand so, for the opponent to properly hit you with the straight right, they have to reach. this exposes them to a variety of counter choices. this also helps keep the southpaw's right foot outside his opponent's left foot. ex. pacquiao/ de la hoya. when roach/ lederman kept saying pacquiao is "turning" de la hoya.

proper head movement: such as changing levels, moving the head after every punch/ feint. ex. lucian bute's vicious left hook to the body seems to be set up by this and proper distance. as his opponent rushes in, he takes a step back and slides under the right hand. this exposes the whole of the right side of the body and gives him a safe angle to step out from.

attack: the same weapon that works for the orthodox fighter, works for the southpaw. the difference is that the southpaw is probably used to seeing the angle of that straight right, it's not always the same the other way around. ex. i believe it was mosley's trainer in the 2nd winky wright fight that said "don't wait on a southpaw". roy jones went on to explain that most orthodox fighters aren't accustom to the angles the punches are coming from enough to fight in a reactionary fashion. ex. pacquiao/ cotto, where cotto was getting tagged with punches he did not see coming based off hand speed and angle while on trying to block whatever attack pacquiao was throwing.

Comment

im orthadox, if i was fighting a southpaw who threw good straight lefts i would step to my left whilst throwing a hard right hook/uppercut/ depending on which part of his head he exposes as he throws his straight.

Comment

counter right hook......

Comment

Originally posted by DR.ORGYY View Post
          counter right hook......
          know it all...

he will probably trow a check hook at you with he's right hand (leading one)

Comment

Keep your right foot outside his left and move to your right, opening up the angle for your left.

Don't move towards his right in punching range, if you are moving right, drop back a little so he can't line you up.

Comment

Those that said circling towards the opponent left were giving a good answer. This way you keep your lead foot outside their lead foot. By circling to the left you are in position to throw yours and they are not. When they throw the right from this position they are usually open for the counter hook.

Comment

It all depends, not all conventional fighters throw their rights the same.

Option 1) If a fighter has a tendency to lean in too much after he throws his lead right, then an uppercut would be perfect.

- Just keep in mind, when you sense or see that lead right coming, time it and step back a lil bit and fire off whatever punch you see fit(usually an uppercut or a lead left straight of your own and just follow it up with whatever punch you see fit)

Option 2) Another one is simply duckin' under it, and firing off a left hook to the liver or shovel hooks. Ducking under his power hand is a bit dangerous though, then again, a mis-timed slip or bob is never good.

Option 3) Slip his right straight by stepping to your left and firing off a straight or hook of your own and just improvise from there.

Comment

southy counter to stright right

Everyone has some sort of neato cool, standard practice for countering a Orthadox's Straight Right or heavy hook if you're a inside fighter. And that's all well and good. but, the truth of the matter is this. Learn to eat it, with a nice left handed cover or glove block. If you spend all your time avoiding the straight hand right as a shouthy your sure to be kissing the mat at some point you cannot avioid it or counter it all the time. So I spend about two rounds a day allowing my righty friends to pound on my arm and face with their straight rights. So I'm comfortable with it and anticipate it so I can take some of the power on my arm or glove. Once you get there its an easy counter. Bottom line if your a lefty and facing a righty YOU ARE GOING TO GET HIT WITH A STRAIGHT RIGHT. So be ready for it, its all they have against us.

Comment

The left hand will be more powerful? Should be almost right than the right hand.

The left hand will be more powerful? Should be almost right than the right hand.

Comment

Working...
                    X