Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Sugar Ray Leonard be able to replicate Robinson's achievement of...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Sugar Ray Leonard be able to replicate Robinson's achievement of...

...Beating Jake Lamotta 5 out of six times under the harsh conditions Robinson had to with giving up on average 15 lbs in weight?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%

Might catch hate for this but, I reckon he could come close, maybe losing 1 extra time.

Comment

I don't think so. Even if Leonard was as fast as Robinson he didn't have Robinson's punch.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
        I don't think so. Even if Leonard was as fast as Robinson he didn't have Robinson's punch.
        How important do you think Robinsons punch was against Lamotta? I imagine in their fights he would have been using his speed and movement

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Might catch hate for this but, I reckon he could come close, maybe losing 1 extra time.
          You shouldnt catch any hate. Leonard was one of the most immensely talented fighters of all-time. I think he wins 4 out of 6 as well.

Comment

i think the lamotta that fought cerdan beats the ray leonard that fought duran the first time

hard to say, leonard is a top shelf guy and can hang with anyone but in shape and motivated at 160 lamotta is a tall order. leonard wasn't as tall as ray, and jake was able to do the rough stuff in a smooth way its an interesting style match.

I think out of 6 fights most of the rounds would fast with boxing and slugging, moving all over the ring

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
              How important do you think Robinsons punch was against Lamotta? I imagine in their fights he would have been using his speed and movement
              At that weight, though, he didn't even incorporate that much movement compared to his welterweight days. If he was a big mover he wouldn't have got caught on the ropes like that. In retrospect that was really silly.

Against LaMotta Leonard didn't have the sufficient power too keep him off. Robinson had the power to completely stun him and even stop him. He was a legit puncher. Leonard was not.

Comment

The second Fullmer fight showed the monstrosity of Robinson's power. He hit super hard above his natural weight. Leonard, not so much.

At Middleweight, Leonard wasnt nearly a big enough puncher or a durable enough guy to sustain LaMottas body attack for 15 rounds. I think The Bull batters him around and wins more often than not. All by Decision because There was no quit in Ray Leonard.

Comment

Ray Leonard would struggle with Lamotta at 160.

Ray would bang with him, he couldn't help himself most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
                    ...Beating Jake Lamotta 5 out of six times under the harsh conditions Robinson had to with giving up on average 15 lbs in weight?
                    I don't think so. I actually think Hearns might have done better than Leonard but neither would duplicate what Robinson did.

Comment

Working...
                    X