Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing gives you so much confidence in a street fight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
    I can relate to this. I remember the High School days where if I got involved in an angry scuffles, I panic and just throw and kick and try to body slam the other guy, which usually just ends up being a 60 second smothering fest.

Now after a few years of boxing at home, then joining a gym and learning the basics, sparring - now having quit the Boxing gym but still shadow boxing at home for cardio - it makes you much calmer in a altercation. It's like you're automatically in your boxing stance when someone gets in your face or tries to attack you. You're no longer panicking or fighting all angry.
    I've been told by many people on this site that boxing does not help you in a street fight. so it must not............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      I've been told by many people on this site that boxing does not help you in a street fight. so it must not............Rockin'
      You don't have to super skilled at boxing. It's the calmness effect that gives you the edge I'd say from experience.

You don't get caught up in the moment and swing away at the other guy all angrily. You anticipate his every move better and react. I've been in altercations where I didn't even knock out or hurt the other guy, but I avoided his entire barrage and came out unscathed.

Comment

Boxing does not help you in a street fight

FACT

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
          Boxing may not give you a huge advantage over the average hard-nut on the street, but the confidence it gives you shouldn't be understated.

I started boxing in 2007 and have had quite a few amateur fights (mainly inter-gym fights) so I'm quite schooled in the basics despite not being able to commit more than a couple of hours a week to the sport.

Anyway, I'm not the type of guy to get involved in fights, especially not against local idiots who are just looking for a drunken scrap after a night out. However, me and my mate were walking to his flat after a fun friday night filled with heavy drinking, when three arseho*es decided they would harass us for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

One lad got up in my face and asked me where I came from, so I told him, and he said something along the lines of 'you need to get out of my area' in a gangster/chav tone of voice, which I found hilarious since we were in the middle of a small town centre in England.

I thought they were going to leave us alone and walk on when one of the lads dropped my mate and I thought here we go. Two of the lads then set up me, but I wasn't fazed at all. I remember being involved in fights when I was younger and I used to shake I was that nervous. Though I was surprisingly calm despite two big lads throwing hilariously mistimed punches in my general direction. I even began throwing a few jabs and feinting a bit as well. One of the guys then got a bit close and I got clipped around the eye, which is when I thought this is getting serious, and and decided to hit him with a right hook that landed square on his unprotected chin (drunken chavs always seem to fight with their hands at their sides haha) and he fell to the floor and started grunting like a pig unconscious. The other guys then backed off down a side alley.

I spent the rest of the night in a hospital waiting room where my friend received treatment for a badly cut eye. We're lucky that the boxing training I have received solved the situation before it was solved for us. Six years ago I might have ran off or fought stupid and got my head stamped in. Now I just kept calm and turned a bad situation into a better one. Confidence and keeping a level head being key.

Boxing rules >>>>>
          So how you defend yourself from a knife attack, gun, choke, headlock, multiple attackers or when you're knocked to the ground? Boxing alone will not save you.

Comment

Comment

I think boxing helps you avoid fights.. especially if you want to keep boxing. you just steer away from them. last thing you need is your boxing passport getting revoked and not being able to compete or train.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
                I think boxing helps you avoid fights.. especially if you want to keep boxing. you just steer away from them. last thing you need is your boxing passport getting revoked and not being able to compete or train.
                yessir. i won't have any part of kids who get into street fights after we've started working together.

Comment

ofcourse it would give you so much confidence. there's only two types of people: it's the trained and untrained. you have better conditioning, has the experience and hand and eye coordination. you are already way ahead.

I have read once a book of kostya tszyu, he was getting push by a huge guy in some office during his teen years and he threw a combo to this guy and the guy fell like a sack of potatoes. he said it was easy even if that was a big guy because he was untrained and isn't use to fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    Such people are idiots.

I'm actually a wrestler, but I started boxing after finishing wrestling in my senior year of high school, and through college, and I had one sanctioned amateur fight. Knowing how to throw a proper punch is obviously a huge asset. Knowing how to take a punch is also a huge asset. I had to do both once. I got attacked by two guys. One guy started swinging on me completely unexpected. I held him at bay. There was a break in the action, and then he came at me a second time, at which point I hit him on the chin and knocked him out cold. His friend then punched me in the jaw from the side with a shot I didn't see. I know he hit me in the jaw, because from my jaw to my eardrum hurt for at least 3 weeks after. I tackled him, and punched him until I was pulled off.

Comment

Working...
                    X