Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOMB - Matthysse to train in Canelo's team

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This news make me angry. For years he said he wouldn't train in the states, that he didn't need it. And now at the end of his career he does it. He should have done it right after the Garcia fight. I think he chose the Canelo team because of the language and maybe because they might be less expensive than Robert Garcia. I wish him the best.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      Could be a good fit I guess, Canelo is a very good boxer so the Reynoso's obviously have to know something about that. Matthysse is more of a boxer so it might help him.
      Matthysse's biggest problem is his hesitancy. Part of that is his lack of handspeed, but part of it is that he often gets into position and doesn't seem to know what to do. It's initiating offence that's his weakness.

My issue with him going to the Reynoso brothers is that Canelo is also very much a 'pick his moments' sort of fighter. He's not busy and he doesn't force the pace. For that I think Matthysse should have gone to a trainer like Roach or Garcia who have a track record of honing effective aggression.

Like you say, the Reynosos obviously know something about developing boxers and the should refine Matthysse is some sense. But they don't seem an obvious fit for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        Matthysse's biggest problem is his hesitancy. Part of that is his lack of handspeed, but part of it is that he often gets into position and doesn't seem to know what to do. It's initiating offence that's his weakness.

My issue with him going to the Reynoso brothers is that Canelo is also very much a 'pick his moments' sort of fighter. He's not busy and he doesn't force the pace. For that I think Matthysse should have gone to a trainer like Roach or Garcia who have a track record of honing effective aggression.

Like you say, the Reynosos obviously know something about developing boxers and the should refine Matthysse is some sense. But they don't seem an obvious fit for him.
        It's possible but I think something incremental as more likely to work out well for a guy like Matthysse rather than the total overhaul. I don't think Matthysse would ever be this super aggressive guy, teach him a couple new boxing tricks I think that could be done.

Either way the need to take some time and some winnable fights to build up a connection before fighting anyone tricky.

Comment

for what i've been reading now, half of his training camp will be held in argentina and half in the US with canelo's team. so, not much of a change, also, he is coming back in may, so GBP might put him in canelo's card

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            Roberts gym? Why so he could have a Corona and lime with his tacos? lol! Garcias gym needs to call weight watchers. Besides, I like Mattysse but what Mattysse needs cannot be taught, he needs longer arms and heart.
            There is a lot Matthysse needs to be taught that would greatly improve him. The question is whether it is too late in his career to teach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
              for what i've been reading now, half of his training camp will be held in argentina and half in the US with canelo's team. so, not much of a change, also, he is coming back in may, so GBP might put him in canelo's card
              I think probably Oscar forced him to do it. Perhaps not but it's a possibility.

He's a headcase. You can't miss your family so much. Go to the US at least one month.. find a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                Roberts gym? Why so he could have a Corona and lime with his tacos? lol! Garcias gym needs to call weight watchers. Besides, I like Mattysse but what Mattysse needs cannot be taught, he needs longer arms and heart.
                His arms are fine. He kicked Peterson's ass being smaller than him. The problem could be heart, determination, handling frustration, and so on. The problem is partly I think that he was very poor as a kid, and now he has a house or two, and a comfortable life, and he's no longer hungry anymore. I think that if he stays hungry, and he has reasons to, he will be ok.

Comment

Whoop whoop, anything's better than Cuty Barrera. Also he can learn a lot from a young humgry fighter like Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
                    I know you're trying to be funny but it's actually coming off a little racist. Clean it up.

Comment

The reality is that when a veteran fighter is over 30, it usually isn't going to matter very much who trains him.

Comment

Working...
                      X