Collapse
No announcement yet.

The pointless existence of the SMW division takes away from the historic LHW-MW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pointless existence of the SMW division takes away from the historic LHW-MW

It takes away from two of the richest and most historically important divisions in boxing.

You had a bunch of great MW'S in the 90's fighting at 168, taking away from what could have been more enriched history for 160.
    And now you have a bunch of great 175 guys fighting at 168.. taking away from yet another rich/historically important division.
    It's pointless. Bute, Froch, Ward,Mikkel. They are ALL light heavy weights. Let's cut the bull****. SMW shouldn't even exist.

Nigel Benn/Eubank could very well have fought their entire careers at 160 and made the 90's MW era all that more richer and more fulfilling.

Calzaghe should have been at 175..

Don't be MORONic and say stuff like

DUH WELL I DUNO I DUNO IF WARD CAN FIGHT AT 175 DUH DUH DUH.

yes he can. Cut the bullshyt.

He's a god damn lhw.
    Deal with it.
    Last edited by Skittlez; 11-27-2012, 04:08 PM.

It is the one division that could be taken away to make 160 and 175 better.

Comment

You could say that about half the divisions. Jr. Middleweight, Light Welter, Super Feather etc.

Nigel Benn and Eubank were pretty cut and stacked at Super Middle as well, they probably should have been Light Heavyweights.

Comment

Honestly boxing should go back to the original 8 divisions. And have only 1 world champion in each one.

Heavyweight 200+ lbs
        Light Heavyweight 168-175 lbs
        Middleweight 154-160 lbs
        Welterweight 140-147 lbs
        Lightweight 130-135 lbs
        Featherweight 122-126 lbs
        Bantamweight 115-118 lbs
        Flyweight 108-112 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Honestly boxing should go back to the original 8 divisions. And have only 1 world champion in each one.

Heavyweight 200+ lbs
          Middleweight 154-160 lbs
          Welterweight 140-147 lbs
          Lightweight 130-135 lbs
          Bantamweight 115-118 lbs
          Flyweight 108-112 lbs
          Now imagine becoming a multiple time/weight world champion in a time like that, almost unimaginable given today landscape.

To use an example, Guerrero apparently a 6 time world titlist in today's era, would not even be a one-time world champion using the original weight structure.

Comment

I don't mind the 168 pound class being here. Lots of good fighters have fought there. I also would not miss it if it were gone. Guys that fight at 168 would just have to choose 160 or 175 as they did for about 81 years. At least there is 8 lbs. difference from 160 to 168 and 7 lbs. difference between 168 and 175. How about the useless 115 pound class that is only 3 pounds more than 112 and 3 pounds less than 118?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

Heavyweight 200+ lbs
              Middleweight 154-160 lbs
              Welterweight 140-147 lbs
              Lightweight 130-135 lbs
              Bantamweight 115-118 lbs
              Flyweight 108-112 lbs
              I don't see why there should be so many fewer weight classes, besides there shouldn't even now be such a huge disparity between LHW and CW, maybe 10 weight classes or so would be good

Comment

Working...
              X