No announcement yet.

Leg Workout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Workout

My legs are pretty skinny.. And i dont have the equipment to bulk them up.
    Is there any other way to get them bigger? I somtimes when training get some 7kg dumbells and do some squats but it never seems to do much.

Why do you want big legs? For boxing you need strength and endurance, not size.

Bodyweight squats are good for muscular endurance. Try to do 100 straight first, then work up to 500.

For explosive strength in your legs, bend down the same way you would for a squat, but instead of just raising back up, jump up as high as you can. When you hit the ground, go right back down. Start slow until you get the proper form (butt down and your knees should never pass in front of your toes), and then speed it up.

That's what you need for boxing. If you really just want bigger legs try: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/
    Last edited by ScottDBA; 12-28-2008, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by N-Mark-E View Post
      My legs are pretty skinny.. And i dont have the equipment to bulk them up.
      Is there any other way to get them bigger? I somtimes when training get some 7kg dumbells and do some squats but it never seems to do much.
      How many pistol squats can you do?

Comment

This is a bodybuilding question because you are talking about a size increase not just strength/indurance
        see here
        http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Important thing at your age it to make sure you are eating enough to support muscle growth. But more to it than that so see the above thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyTravis View Post
          How many pistol squats can you do?
          I do 30 squats with its 10kg dumbells actually between other workouts just to bulk them up.. I could do more if i knew it would actually be working.

Im only on logged on when in school and round me m8s

Comment

Originally posted by ScottDBA View Post

Bodyweight squats are good for muscular endurance. Try to do 100 straight first, then work up to 500.

For explosive strength in your legs, bend down the same way you would for a squat, but instead of just raising back up, jump up as high as you can. When you hit the ground, go right back down. Start slow until you get the proper form (butt down and your knees should never pass in front of your toes), and then speed it up.

That's what you need for boxing. If you really just want bigger legs try: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

Well some boxing people/trainers say big legs can help you having a better chin. When Amir Khan went to Freddie Roach after being ko'd in 54 seconds , Roach said he was going to get Khan's legs bulked up so he could take a punch better. So i don't think big legs will automatically get you a good chin but it can help at times.

Comment

this may sound a bit vain, but i've known quite a few dudes over the years who had huge calves...all of them could pack a punch.

Comment

do pistols or one legged curtsy squats if you cant do a pistol (made up the name since I cant find the name for it). Look up pistols on youtube so you can see what they are. As for the curtsy squat if youve ever seen a ballerina curtsy its like that only you go really deep. Put your non working leg behind the working one and lower yourself down and try to keep it from touching the floor. You can also do lunges, lunge jumps, side lunges, calf raises on one or two feet. Non of these require equipment but added weight helps. Theres other exercises but these are the ones that are more common and work better for size.

Comment

Working...
                X