Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For a 3rd attempt, who's really ducking this WBC purse bid, HBO Kovalev or Kathy Duva

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to hear Ward Kovalev will get made Stevenson better make that move before is left out in the cold ..

Comment

I don't think it is fear or ducking from the fighters themselves, I think GREED from both sides is what is killing this one and also Animosity between HBO and Haymon make them not even want to try and negotiate and work something out

Fans make things worse because they're just trying to make their favorite fighter of the two look like the tough guy in all of this. Why should Kovalev, HBO and Duva push to make this fight when they already have fans on their side blaming it all on Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        good deal for stevenson but absolutely nothing to celebrate for us fans
        Well yea I can't argue with that. Stevenson made a good deal for him, but the fans got effed. I'd just argue HBO is more at fault for putting things in that position.

When HBO had Stevenson under contract they didn't wanna continue paying him his market value. The great thing about HBO is they make so many good fights. The bad thing for HBO is they make so many good fights they raise the value of those fighters & in this case to the point of not being willing to match what someone else was willing to pay him.

I don't think its fair to expect fighters, who only got one shot at this while HBO has been in boxing for 40yrs, to not look out for #1 & just accept lesser deals in the getting hit in the head business.

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post
          Man why are you people making things complicated? This is not rocket science. Chickenson will never fight Kovalev. End of story. He's scared.
          This is the correct answer

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Well yea I can't argue with that. Stevenson made a good deal for him, but the fans got effed. I'd just argue HBO is more at fault for putting things in that position.

When HBO had Stevenson under contract they didn't wanna continue paying him his market value. The great thing about HBO is they make so many good fights. The bad thing for HBO is they make so many good fights they raise the value of those fighters & in this case to the point of not being willing to match what someone else was willing to pay him.

I don't think its fair to expect fighters, who only got one shot at this while HBO has been in boxing for 40yrs, to not look out for #1 & just accept lesser deals in the getting hit in the head business.
            but the point is he would be richer (not to mention more loved) if he had stayed on hbo and tangled with hbo's lhws - unless he lost. so what this actually boils down to is not a fighter choosing a more lucrative path but a fighter choosing an easier path, which is pretty much the textbook definition of a "duck". signing with haymon only makes financial sense for stevenson if we grant that he would lose to kovalev (or perhaps hopkins or pascal)

and i may be wrong here but i believe haymon is only actually supplying his minimum guarantee of $750k* and the rest of his money comes from canadian tv, which he'd get regardless. i think most of his fights are ppv over there. can any canadians confirm or dispel this?

* for the record, kovalev got $750k for his defence against mohammedi, so if i'm right then evidently hbo can match pbc even when it comes to fluff fights

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              but the point is he would be richer (not to mention more loved) if he had stayed on hbo and tangled with hbo's lhws - unless he lost. so what this actually boils down to is not a fighter choosing a more lucrative path but a fighter choosing an easier path, which is pretty much the textbook definition of a "duck". signing with haymon only makes financial sense for stevenson if we grant that he would lose to kovalev (or perhaps hopkins or pascal)

and i may be wrong here but i believe haymon is only actually supplying his minimum guarantee of $750k* and the rest of his money comes from canadian tv, which he'd get regardless. i think most of his fights are ppv over there. can any canadians confirm or dispel this?

* for the record, kovalev got $750k for his defence against mohammedi, so if i'm right then evidently hbo can match pbc even when it comes to fluff fights
              Well first off I think in boxing talking about ducking is naive. Things are way more complicated than that. This isn't two guys about to fight in a backyard. Its a sport & business. And Boxing is probably 60/40 business over sport at this point at best.

And idk Stevenson's current deal with Showtime/PBC thats going on off the dome rn. There seems to be a bit of a hybrid deal or opting out going on, but idk exactly whats happening there. I know Showtime is the one who Stevenson has (or had) a deal with, but he's clearly been fighting on PBC (although I believe under CBS who's Showtime's daddy iirc so maybe thats where the hybrid stuff comes in at idk). So idk what to make of this current situation as far as Stevenson goes only that HBO misplayed their hand by not matching the deal Stevenson was offered. Stevenson vs Kovalev happens if HBO simply gives the man what he's worth. Sometimes the lil guy (Stevenson) gots to stand up against the big guy (HBO) in these deals where the big guy is trying to lean on them with their influence.

Comment

Well first off I think in boxing talking about ducking is naive. Things are way more complicated than that. This isn't two guys about to fight in a backyard. Its a sport & business. And Boxing is probably 60/40 business over sport at this point at best.

And idk Stevenson's current deal with Showtime/PBC thats going on off the dome rn. There seems to be a bit of a hybrid deal or opting out going on, but idk exactly whats happening there. I know Showtime is the one who Stevenson has (or had) a deal with, but he's clearly been fighting on PBC (although I believe under CBS who's Showtime's daddy iirc so maybe thats where the hybrid stuff comes in at idk). So idk what to make of this current situation as far as Stevenson goes only that HBO misplayed their hand by not matching the deal Stevenson was offered. Stevenson vs Kovalev happens if HBO simply gives the man what he's worth. Sometimes the lil guy (Stevenson) gots to stand up against the big guy (HBO) in these deals where the big guy is trying to lean on them with their influence.
                The bold is true in most cases. Unfortunately, the majority of posters in this forum have other agendas and won't acknowledge it.

Comment

Mind boggling that ducks are being defended and supported. It's a disgrace. This is no longer boxing. This is fake wrestling.

Comment

Working...
                  X