Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Boxer Analyst HBO Had?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked George and Ray Alot but Roy gets my vote :P just thought he was the better commentator.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      I liked George and Ray Alot but Roy gets my vote :P just thought he was the better commentator.
      He probably caught hell after the Lewis Holyfield fight.

I'm sure HBO doesn't like that and I always figured that was why George left.

If you weren't bias like Lampley they didn't want anything to do with you.

Comment

I always felt that pretty much all the commentators in HBO come across as bias. Some more than others. Lampley and Merchant are pretty much Pacman nuthuggers and cheerleaders. Steward is less bias but overly critical but often he predicts events right before they happen. For example, he predicted the Morales Ko in the 2nd pac fight before it happened and also seconds before Tarver KOd jones he said "tarver is giving roy some problems" and it was still early in the fight.

Roy Jones is good but you can't get more bias than he was in the Brewster vs W. Klitschko fight; he seem to pretty much discredit Klitschko and be bias toward Brewster. SRL was much more neutral and objective. His jokes were funny and he never insulted his colleagues. Jones once told Merchant you "are not a boxer so you don't know how it is in the ring." Even Foreman who disagreed with Lampley and Merchant never said things like that. In the Jones vs Ruiz fight foreman disagreed with his colleagues about calling RUiz a paper champion but never went below the belt.

Comment

I think Roy likes to hear his voice too much. I remember watching a Floyd Mayweather fight (Gatti, maybe?) and he just would not shut up, and about inane bull**** nonetheless. Every chance he got, he would play a replay in super slow mo and just shout out the punches that Floyd was throwing like we couldn't see. George Foreman is just more entertaining.

Comment

I liked Foreman the best.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
              I always felt that pretty much all the commentators in HBO come across as bias. Some more than others. Lampley and Merchant are pretty much Pacman nuthuggers and cheerleaders. Steward is less bias but overly critical but often he predicts events right before they happen. For example, he predicted the Morales Ko in the 2nd pac fight before it happened and also seconds before Tarver KOd jones he said "tarver is giving roy some problems" and it was still early in the fight.

Roy Jones is good but you can't get more bias than he was in the Brewster vs W. Klitschko fight; he seem to pretty much discredit Klitschko and be bias toward Brewster. SRL was much more neutral and objective. His jokes were funny and he never insulted his colleagues. Jones once told Merchant you "are not a boxer so you don't know how it is in the ring." Even Foreman who disagreed with Lampley and Merchant never said things like that. In the Jones vs Ruiz fight foreman disagreed with his colleagues about calling RUiz a paper champion but never went below the belt.
              Well to be fair he was right

Comment

George told it like it was, it wasn't about him. Jones was more serious but he talked about himself most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                X