Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TOP 5 Greatest Boxing Trilogies of All-Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You cannot forget Vinny Pazienza vs. Greg Haugen.

Comment

Andrew Lewis and Denny Delton

Comment

Originally posted by danc1984 View Post
        That is one hell of a list. Maybe sub in Vazquez-Marquez for Leonard-Duran. Granted the first fight was incredible and the rematch memorable but as a trilogy I just don't think it quite stands up. Still a great list though.
        Yes. Vazquez-Marquez is light years better than Leonard-Duran. The rematch ended in a disappointing way and the rubber match was one of the worst big fights ever. It could cure insomnia and put Ambien out of business.

Bowe-Holyfield and Vazquez-Marquez are two trilogies in which all the fights were very good. Ali-Frazier 2 was dull. Zale-Graziano might be the best, but the film footage is so limited of the first two bouts (grainy highlights) so it's tough to judge.

Barrera-Morales was a great trilogy. The 2nd fight was kind of a let-down, but it was still a very close fight that picked up in the latter rounds.

I won't rank them in any order, but of the trilogies in which I've seen all 3 fights in full, I'd go with Vazquez-Marquez, Bowe-Holyfield, Ali-Frazier, Barrera-Morales, and either Gatti-Ward or Pacquiao-Morales.

Comment

manny pacquiao vs erik morales....one of the best

Comment

I suck, and haven't seen in anything pre-1990, so... here is my recent trilogies only top 5:

1. Vazquez-Marquez - Every fight was brutal and competitive. Great, great fights.

2. Barrera-Morales - All great fights, but there was always something that irked me about each one. Not enough skill in I, not enough effort from Barrera in the early rounds in II, not enough effort from Morales in the early rounds in III.

3. Pacquiao-Morales - Other than the dreadful rubber match, which was a total execution, the first two were just terrific fights.

4. Bowe-Holyfield - The third fight was not very good, and the second was not as great as people make it out to be. The first one was just out of control great though.

5. Gatti-Ward - This trilogy is overrated by everyone. The first fight is one of the greatest fights I have ever seen. The second one was a one-sided massacre, and the third was only competitive because Gatti had one hand to fight with.

Tarver-Jones was not that great.

I haven't seen Toney-McCallum, Casamayor-Corrales, Gonzalez-Carbajal or Chavez-Randall (in their entirety at least).

Comment

I'll never understand people who mentioned Pacquiao-Morales. That is a garbage trilogy. The first fight alone doesn't make up for 2 ****ty performances that followed.

Comment

Gatti - Ward : Brilliant

My fave however is Jeff Harding - Dennis Andries.
                The first fight was especially brutal and if anyone has seen a man take as much punishment as Harding and still have enough left in the 12th round to deliver a knockout I would love to hear about it. Harding was not the most skillful boxer around and had footwork like a refrigerator , but his toughness ,his chin and a powerhouse left hook made him a massive test for any fighter. His performance in that first Andries fight was one of the greatest in Australian boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  How about Graziano-Zale? 2 out of 3 were voted fight of the year.
                  I can only get one of there fights is there any footage of the other two ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt E Gomez View Post
                    I'll never understand people who mentioned Pacquiao-Morales. That is a garbage trilogy. The first fight alone doesn't make up for 2 ****ty performances that followed.
                    The 2nd fight was good too. Pacquiao really changed things in the 6th when he busted up Morales and broke his nose. He was losing up to that point, only winning the 2nd and maybe one other round.

Comment

Originally posted by 713832281 View Post
                      ...gatti vs ward. best trilogies ever..
                      Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
                      5. Gatti-Ward - This trilogy is overrated by everyone. The first fight is one of the greatest fights I have ever seen.

Originally posted by TSZYULANDER View Post
                      Gatti - Ward : Brilliant
                      Farewell Gatti.

Comment

Working...
                      X