No announcement yet.

Franklin vs Liddell (2006) would have been the biggest fight in UFC History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin vs Liddell (2006) would have been the biggest fight in UFC History

Funny how this fight is kind of on the back burner for a lot people but had this fight happened 4 years ago, it would have been the biggest blockbuster fight in UFC and maybe even MMA history. Man, how times change quickly.

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
    Funny how this fight is kind of on the back burner for a lot people but had this fight happened 4 years ago, it would have been the biggest blockbuster fight in UFC and maybe even MMA history. Man, how times change quickly.
    Certainly not bigger than Tito VS Liddell or Ken VS Tito. Rich Franklin has no personnality.

Comment

I don't think so. Rich around 2006 (which even though he was the MW champion) wasn't a big name or draw on the level of Chuck, Tito or even Randy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
        Certainly not bigger than Tito VS Liddell or Ken VS Tito. Rich Franklin has no personnality.
        Originally posted by SwoleBiceps View Post
        I don't think so. Rich around 2006 (which even though he was the MW champion) wasn't a big name or draw on the level of Chuck, Tito or even Randy.
        I don't know man. Franklin had plenty of hype behind him. It might not have been on Tito-Liddell level, but it would have still been big. I think Franklin just got deflated quicker after the Silva defeat unlike Liddell who is still huge no matter how many times he losses. But at the height of Franklin's reign, I remember he was pretty popular.

champion vs champion, it would have been something special.

Comment

Liddell and Franklin ran their divisions back then. Both were going on long win streaks. People forget, but Franklin only had 1 loss prior to taking an L from Silva.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelfist View Post
            Liddell and Franklin ran their divisions back then. Both were going on long win streaks. People forget, but Franklin only had 1 loss prior to taking an L from Silva.
            Yeah, a knockout loss to Machida in, what, Machida's 3rd fight?

In all honesty, the only thing that makes this fight at all intriguing is the fact that Liddell has slowed down enough to make the fight competitive. A non-shot Liddell would've blown Franklin away. That's my take at least.

Comment

Working...
            X