Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What lessons can Abraham learn from Johnson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What lessons can Abraham learn from Johnson?

Someone mentioned in another thread that watching Johnson was like watching how Abraham should fight, that is, intelligent pressure, bodywork, stiff and constant jab etc. I was a big admirer of Abraham at the start of the tournament, but I have to admit that a lot of glaring flaws have been exposed in him these last few fights. However, there's no denying that he possesses teak toughness and phenomenal power in both hands; his problems are almost entirely stylistic.

So what can Abraham learn from Johnson's past few performances? Quite a lot, I think. Johnson might not be the quickest or the strongest guy around, but he's in your face every minute of every round, working your body, pumping his jab in your face, sneaking overhand rights over your guard, just generally keeping you on your toes and making your life uncomfortable. Abraham, on the other hand, literally does almost nothing the first few rounds. I understand that in the past this was the time he took to get the measure of you, get your timing and so on, but if he wants to have success at a higher level he simply can't afford to do this.

He also seems to be one of those fighters who's all or nothing. When he goes for a shot, it's to take your head off. If he can learn to throw half-power punches, short chopping rights and digging bodyshots, conserve his energy but keep up the pressure, then he'd have a lot more success. Incorporating some head movement would work wonders as well. Abraham can't get away with leaning back to avoid shots. It leaves his body exposed and limits his opportunities for countershots.

I still think Abraham can recoup and become a viable contender again, and Johnson is the man he needs to look to as his blueprint. I don't know about you, but an Abraham who fights like Johnson is a scary thought indeed. Had those right hands landed on Froch been from Abraham I doubt he'd have made it to the finish line. Unfortunately, if he continues to fight the way he fights I can foresee a lot more losses down the line.
Working...
X