No announcement yet.

‗‗FACE OFF‗‗ Anthony Joshua vs Dillian Whyte (The Gloves Are Off) [VIDEO HD]

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
    This will be a better fight than Klitschko - Fury.
    Every fight is better than that. 52 punches landed by Klitschko, awful.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
      I envision a time in the future when the British press turn on Joshua. Part of the issue for me is the national sentiment and media frenzy that entwined around Team GB's success during the London Olympics. Most of that was centred around the achievements of the female boxers which was read as being progressive for women. Female participation in the sport boomed after that. Nicola Adams and Natasha Jonas in particular set the tone as to what was expected of the whole squad in terms of conduct, back story and beaming smile, ever so appreciative, grateful personality.

But along with that came a level of slightly coy patronising condesention on the part of the press. "Didn't the girls do well!" The fact that they're boxers first and foremost became lost but the upside of that is that it made them more accessible and sellable to the sections of the British public that look down on boxing as largely a brutish pastime.

Luke Campbell, with the disarming features of a twelve year old paperboy readily fit into this emasculated soft lense vision that was being trained on the sport. Joshua seems to have done what was asked of him to fit in with that but dispite his best efforts has always looked like a square peg being forced into a round hole.

As long as he toes the line and jumps through hoops for the press he'll be tolerated. As soon as he doesn't those stories from his youth that they're sitting on will start to be written up as exposes. He doesn't strike me as the kind of man who suffers fools gladly. That doesn't bode well when dealing with the tabloid press.

On a side note, sometimes you have to wonder what goes through Johnny Nelson's head that prompts him to ask a young, physically powerful black man from the streets of London who his paymasters are trying to promote to the wider public as a PPV attraction whether he used to knock people out in the streets!?! . . He needed his arse handed to him for that.
      I think AJs been pretty open about his past misdemeanors. It's not really a secret.

But I agree, the media will turn on him as soon as he starts to be more himself and less of the choir boy, as will the people. The public is fickle. yet if he keeps bringing the KOs, people will keep tuning in and buying future PPVs. I like how we the "civilised" people look down on boxing yet are drawn to it's darkest attractions.

London has rarely seen crowds the way we saw them when Tyson arrived, he was bigger than the pope. Yet we all loved bringing up his crimes and character defects (while lining our pockets with the millions he brought to the table).

That's just the way of western society.

Comment

I want to believe in joshua i really do. But how can you tell he is not just another fraudley harrison. He is built like a frank bruno but his physique worries me. Can you get that muscular without the roids?

Comment

Maybe josh didn't give him the pants back that's why he's not too keen on josh.
          But dillian getting koed, and once he's ko,ed he will be respectful and submissive and will shake Josh's hand all josh will have to do is give him the stare

Comment

Anthony Joshua On 'The Gloves Are Off' Taping

Comment

Originally posted by stellen View Post
              I want to believe in joshua i really do. But how can you tell he is not just another fraudley harrison. He is built like a frank bruno but his physique worries me. Can you get that muscular without the roids?
              Can't see even a prime Audley Harrison beating a past prime Kevin Johnson, especially becoming the first one to KO him. Joshua has a far better inside game than Harrison too, he can throw short shots with KO power which in itself is very rare for a HW his size, it's something both Wladimir and Fury aren't really capable of doing, although the smaller Haye is.

Joshua clearly has heart too and he ironically showed that in the Dillian Whyte amateur fight, he got knocked down multiple times but never quit and even came on strong after the knock downs at times.

Totally different fighter to Harrison, he'll go much further on the world scene IMO, even if Whyte beats him.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
                I think whyte has the beaten of AJ.
                Whyte has slipped under the radar while people have jumped onto the AJ express and hype.
                Whyte has a street mentality that can either go for him or against him.
                i do believe he dosnt fear AJ one bit and genuinely dislikes him.
                i think whyte has been overlooked alot and can shock alot of people on sat night.
                "A skinny body builder" haha
                Whyte could make it a very close fight, or even beat AJ, I agree. The problem I see with Whyte though is that he leaves his right side open and gets caught too much with his guard down, while plodding foward. It's a bad habit and I'm pretty sure Team Josh is aware of this so they'll train to time that opening. If he doesn't correct that mistake he could get taken out quick because AJ has the speed, timing and power to close the show but if Banks has spotted it and they correct it then it's a close fight IMO. Both fighters could hit the deck in this one!

Comment

Whyte dressing up as big purple there.

I might stick a bit on Whyte it is likely he connects with Joshua's chin at one point and he will have the will to put himself there. But Joshua looks the goods. But heavyweights....tough to ever be confident with them.

I don't think Joshua comes across as overly media trained. That documentary about him when he was saying hello and chatting to all the people from his neighbourhood young and old makes me think that he engages with them. This was Watford not Ireland or something. English people would just about speak to a stranger if one of them was on fire. Joshua seems like a good lad albeit one with a past but what is he meant to talk about that? Doubt he is a fake.
                  Last edited by Sparked_26; 12-05-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                    Thought Whyte came across poorly there.

I always think he seems to be trying too hard and likes to act up. This whole 'we can step outside' nonsense is quite embarrassing, you're going to meet in the ring next week.
                    Yeah, the whole "step outside" thing is a bit weak at this point but Whyte has been saying that for over a year now. Well before the fight was on the radar he was saying that he dislikes Joshua and would "take care of him in the street" even though he's "not usually like that". Whyte has a genuine grudge because Joshua talked badly about him to the press, while Whyte thought they were cool so it stems from that situation. I think he basically feels he got stabbed in the back by Joshua which is why he keeps calling him a fake.

But at this point why risk a streetfight for no money when you're about to get paid to fight the same guy anyway, and you got 3 kids to feed too. I think partly he's just trying to spook Joshua at this point, or his anger about the situation is clouding his judgement.

Comment

Working...
                    X