No announcement yet.

James "Lights Out" Toney vs Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins @ 160lbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herr Schmeling View Post
    Just watch Hopkins against Gilbert Baptist. You probably can find the fight on youtube. That dude had a similar style like Toney and gave Hopkins a tough fight. The thing is: This kid was only a tough journeyman and not even close to Toney's class. Also Toney is a real infight king. Hopkins is always labled as one, but actually him and Ward do more holding (and headbutting) than anything on the inside. Toney rolled his shoulder and countered the **** out of his opponents. No way Hopkins would have the advantage on the inside.

Toney by 116:112 or late TKO if Hopkins tries to **** with him on the inside.
    What about Toney getting beaten easily by Dave Tiberi and Drake Thadzi two journeymen in his prime years?

Or getting made to look like an amateur by Reggie Johnson and beaten twice by Montel Griffin?

Struggling badly with Merqui Sosa and Sanderline Williams?

We supposed to forget these things happened?

The idea that Toney could knock out Hopkins is laughable. He gets schooled by Hopkins and beaten up, easily.

Comment

[QUOTE=GOD-FR33;15998329]
      Originally posted by el*** View Post
      Not sure, would have to watch more from that era. A lot of people seem to be thinking of Hopkins as the late 30s early 40s guy who had low output, he had much higher output before then.

Also dont get what people are ****ting on hopkins vs jones, he did much better than toney against jones, he won about 4 rounds. He fought a smart fight, he just had a hard time landing because of jones speed and reflexes.[/QUOTE]

It's because we know that that wasn't the real James Toney in there against Jones. He was arrogant and lazy at that time. He even said that he didn't train for Jones because he thought he would KO him. Stupid logic. LoL. Anyway, a motivated Toney KO's Roy Jones and beats Hopkin's up. He was a special talent. Hopkin's was not.
      "A motivated Toney KO's Jones"

What an absolute joke of a statment

What is a "motivated Toney" and what was the difference between his training for Roy Jones and ANY other fight in his career?

Comment

I like James to handle Bernard, Hopkins at middleweight wasn't that good to me. He won the fights he was supposed to win and lost tough fights.
        His first test with Jones he lost he then won his second test with Johnson.
        After that the best names were blown up welters..........if it can't work for the current guys why should Hopkins get a pass.
        Then he faces Jermain and drops both.
        He was a much better fighter at 175!!!
        James grew out of 160 quickly but I still think he was at his best there!

Toney by decs. and a close fight.

Comment

I think an in shape, motivated Toney wins. The problem is we didn't see that version of Toney very often. Basically, Toney is the more talented fighter but BHop is the one more willing to do the work. As noted, at his best, I'd take Toney but I'll take BHop 6 out of ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
            toney is superior to bernard.

only thing bernard has over toney is a smaller appetite and HGH.
            I like Toney over Hopkins providing Toney did the weight right.

The problem with Toney's "legacy" is that it is severely tainted by his continual steroid use.

Comment

B-Hop all day. I think it would be a rather lopsided UD. James' only hope is a KO, but B-Hop has a granite chin. Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
                I think an in shape, motivated Toney wins. The problem is we didn't see that version of Toney very often. Basically, Toney is the more talented fighter but BHop is the one more willing to do the work. As noted, at his best, I'd take Toney but I'll take BHop 6 out of ten.
                What fight was Toney motivated and in shape for?

Comment

Toney outboxes him in a thriller. Narrow UD but a thorough outboxing spectacle. As great as prime B-Hop was, prime Toney with his head together, is even better, and more offensively minded.

These are the fights as fight fans we dream about. Two world class boxers, tacticians, a real fistic chess
                  match.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    What fight was Toney motivated and in shape for?
                    Barkley for starters

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
                      Barkley for starters
                      Huh? I thought Toney wasn't in shape at 168?

Or maybe he looked good in that fight because Barkley is dead average?

Comment

Working...
                      X