No announcement yet.

Zarate-Gomez revisited

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zarate-Gomez revisited

Carlos Zarate is a fighter I enjoy watching and one of my favorites. Unfortunately he fought in an era I missed out on. When he fought Wilfredo Gomez he moved up 4 pounds and was beaten decisively. Four pounds doesn't seem like an insurmountable amount of weight to overcome.

Was Gomez that much superior to Zarate?

Was it a matter of styles or circumstances I don't know about?

Was the weight too much?

Thanks.

It weird about the weight and how things come full circle, because didn't Gomez move 4 pounds and get beat by sanchez

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      It weird about the weight and how things come full circle, because didn't Gomez move 4 pounds and get beat by sanchez
      You are correct. I seem to remember in that era fighters in the lighter classes below feather seemed to have difficulty bridging the bantam to feather gap. It was done earlier and since.

Comment

Four pounds doesn't seem like much but at lighter weights it is. That is why the lighter weight classes like flyweight, super bantamweight and bantamweight are only separated by 3 pounds. But aside from that it was also the fact that Gomez was a master at super bantamweight.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          Four pounds doesn't seem like much but at lighter weights it is. That is why the lighter weight classes like flyweight, super bantamweight and bantamweight are only separated by 3 pounds. But aside from that it was also the fact that Gomez was a master at super bantamweight.
          rock a bye Rubin Olivares was one to bridge that gap. Quite a fighter

Comment

Zarate claimed- I read this long ago in a boxing magazine- that he was very ill going into that fight. I have never understood how pintor did so much better vs Gomez than did Zarate.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
              Zarate claimed- I read this long ago in a boxing magazine- that he was very ill going into that fight. I have never understood how pintor did so much better vs Gomez than did Zarate.
              I heard something about that too. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to see the different perspectives on this. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                rock a bye Rubin Olivares was one to bridge that gap. Quite a fighter
                Olivares was a much better bantamweight than featherweight though. The first Herrera fight at bantam indicated he had already passed his peak.

Comment

Working...
                X