No announcement yet.

Quillin gives more excuses not to fight Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't serve the sport well to have fighters milk their titles against sub-standard opposition.

It's like Mosley's comeback - yeah, we know he's gotta make those alimony payments.

But we gotta push for the best fights. Quillin vs GGG would be a great fight.
    No, it's not good for the sport. But it is what it is. First of all, let's make it clear that, despite Quillin's talk, he's not unilaterally calling the shots here. Almost certainly, his promoter forces him to fight whomever he puts in front of him. But let's pretend for a moment that Pete has Mayweather-like control over his destiny. (That shouldn't be a problem, since we've been doing that all the while anyway.) Put yourself in Quillin's shoes: "Hmmm...I'm not doing this shit forever and this Golovkin guy is a little too good. He could derail my plans of making the rest of my life very comfortable. Maybe I should take a couple of easier fights and let the demand build a little more. If I'm going to lose marketability, I need to get paid!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray* View Post
      You mad lol? Chill mate dont sprain a muscle over GGG.
      Nope just find it funny how dumb NSB posters can be

Comment

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Nope just find it funny how dumb NSB posters can be
        Exactly!!!!!!!

Comment

Quillin is a bigger name based on what exactly? Ok lets take boxingscene out of it, now show me how he is a bigger name. Ratings? Ehhh Golovkin's are better. Lets hear it genius.

I swear, you're a str8 moron sometimes, just look at you crying and making stuff up
          Just playing Devil's advocate here, but Quillin was in a card that supposedly generated $800k-1M (I'm skeptical) while Golovkin's card only generated $200k. That's something I guess.

Comment

• Quillin vs Golovkin should fight @ the Garden that would be a great fight

Comment

• I think if Martinez/Geale/Golovkin/Quillin/Pirog/Chavez/Macklin were willing to unify the division and provide a culmination to the current lineage, then MW would have an amazing year.

However, if Quillin is gonna fight Guerrero/Rubio, I cannot turn around and get mad at GGG for fighting Rosado/Adama, Geale for fighting Mundine or Martinez for fighting Murray. Everybody gotta be on-board in order to make it happen. Some guys have clearly ducked Golovkin (Sturm being the worst offender), but I think all these guys should be allowed to develop their fan-bases further because let's face it, MW doesn't have any super-stars right now. Problem is, Sergio is gonna retire soon and I really want to see him either lose or successfully retain his title against the undisputed #2 of the division.

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                No, it's not good for the sport. But it is what it is. First of all, let's make it clear that, despite Quillin's talk, he's not unilaterally calling the shots here. Almost certainly, his promoter forces him to fight whomever he puts in front of him. But let's pretend for a moment that Pete has Mayweather-like control over his destiny. (That shouldn't be a problem, since we've been doing that all the while anyway.) Put yourself in Quillin's shoes: "Hmmm...I'm not doing this shit forever and this Golovkin guy is a little too good. He could derail my plans of making the rest of my life very comfortable. Maybe I should take a couple of easier fights and let the demand build a little more. If I'm going to lose marketability, I need to get paid!"
                Quillin fighting Golovkin is not good for the sport?!

Only person its not good for is Quillin who will probably lose and take a beating. I dont care about Quillins or Golovkins finances or marketability, why is this even being brought up.

Is there a worse possible duck then this? Honestly

Comment

Quillin fighting Golovkin is not good for the sport?!

Only person its not good for is Quillin who will probably lose and take a beating. I dont care about Quillins or Golovkins finances or marketability, why is this even being brought up.

Is there a worse possible duck then this? Honestly
                  Read the post I was replying to, Einstein.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                    Just playing Devil's advocate here, but Quillin was in a card that supposedly generated $800k-1M (I'm skeptical) while Golovkin's card only generated $200k. That's something I guess.
                    I was one of those in attendance for the Garcia-Morales 2 card, which had quillin as the 3rd tier fight. People came there to see Morales, and had Devon, Paulie, Garcia on it as well. It was also the 1st fight at the new Barclays center. Quillin did not generate that

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      I don't know if Quillin is being a diva. I'm more inclined to believe his reasons are pretty much what Lee said. It's essentially what I've been saying all along. It's the reason why nearly all these men refuse to fight certain guys until the money is right. Does anyone think Quillin would refuse a fight with Golovkin if his purse was, say, two million? No. His purse, however, would probably be south of 500k for a fight like that. Risk/reward is what it comes down to.
                      What about Peter talking about Geale? He said he wants Martinez the most, ok everyone does, but he goes on to say, incorrectly, that he doesn't want to go after the regular WBA champion in Golovkin. He said if no Martinez then he would want to fight the Super Champion in Geale. The thing is Geale is no longer a WBA champion, he was stripped of that title which now belongs solely to Golovkin. Shouldn't that mean Quillin would want Golovkin?? That was his entire logic.

Comment

Working...
                      X