Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Emmanuel Steward take Khan back to the top...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Emmanuel Steward take Khan back to the top...

First off all, credit to Khan for being an out and out warrior despite his chin deficiencies. Anybody with a chin like his is well within their fights to fight conservatively, yet he goes to the trenches in every fight, even though it doesn't do him any favours, so I applaud the man.

Saying that, Khan is at a point in his career where he can't afford any more slip ups. He needs to learn to fight intelligently and to use his more than abundant physical gifts and boxing talent to keep him out of trouble.

I see a lot of parallels in Khan and Wladimir that make me think Emmanuel Steward is the best option for Khan at this point in his career.

-Both have excellent jabs and strong right hands.

-Both have amazing amateur pedigree.

-Klitshcko has fight ending power, and while Khan doesn't have quite the same power he does possess more speed.

-Both have suffered bad knockouts midway through their careers.

-Both have looked defensively vulnerable - although Wlad has improved markedly in this area as his career has progressed.

In short, I think Steward can take Khan back to the top again, if he is allowed to build him slowly from domestic level. He needs a few fights against the likes of Theopane, Mitchell, and Malignaggi before he steps up to contend for titles, but he will be better for it, if he has an intelligent trainer in his corner who can spot weaknesses and work on them in the gym. As Steward has shown with Klitschko, he can take a vulnerable fighter with talent, and turn them into a completely different machine.

I'm not saying Steward is the complete answer, and I know Klitschko's success is somewhat due to his size advantages and being in a weak division, but their are parallels to be had between them.

I really do believe Steward can work wonders on Khan, something Roach is unable to do. If Khan stays with Roach he will get worse, mark my words, and he might as well retire today. Change is needed, and Steward seems like the perfect man to implement those changes.

Whether someone agrees with you or not if they have similarities, preparing a fighters at 140 is a different battle than guys at much higher weights. He could do it, but the results would be vastly different.

Comment

Khan has nowhere NEAR the physical advantages at 140 that Wlad has at heavyweight and that is the main reason for Wlads success, that he has learned to use those advantages

Khan with an average light welter....

Wlad with an average heavy...

Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 07-15-2012, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
        First off all, credit to Khan for being an out and out warrior despite his chin deficiencies. Anybody with a chin like his is well within their fights to fight conservatively, yet he goes to the trenches in every fight, even though it doesn't do him any favours, so I applaud the man.

Saying that, Khan is at a point in his career where he can't afford any more slip ups. He needs to learn to fight intelligently and to use his more than abundant physical gifts and boxing talent to keep him out of trouble.

I see a lot of parallels in Khan and Wladimir that make me think Emmanuel Steward is the best option for Khan at this point in his career.

-Klitshcko has fight ending power, and while Khan doesn't have quite the same power he does possess more speed.

-Both have looked defensively vulnerable - although Wlad has improved markedly in this area as his career has progressed.

In short, I think Steward can take Khan back to the top again, if he is allowed to build him slowly from domestic level. He needs a few fights against the likes of Theopane, Mitchell, and Malignaggi before he steps up to contend for titles, but he will be better for it, if he has an intelligent trainer in his corner who can spot weaknesses and work on them in the gym. As Steward has shown with Klitschko, he can take a vulnerable fighter with talent, and turn them into a completely different machine.

I'm not saying Steward is the complete answer, and I know Klitschko's success is somewhat due to his size advantages and being in a weak division, but their are parallels to be had between them.

I really do believe Steward can work wonders on Khan, something Roach is unable to do. If Khan stays with Roach he will get worse, mark my words, and he might as well retire today. Change is needed, and Steward seems like the perfect man to implement those changes.
        Freddie Roach just showed how bad a trainer he is, with all that speed why is Khan not a counter puncher, why was he moving into Gracia's left hook.

Great fight Khan is by no means a bum and yes a move to manny would be a good move.

Comment

Originally posted by Thor-Odinson View Post
          Khan has nowhere NEAR the physical advantages at 140 that Wlad has at heavyweight and that is the main reason for Wlads success, that he has learned to use those advantages
          This. Plus, most Heavyweights are out of shape and crude compared to the brothers, they have a physical advantage, a skills advantage, and they are always in top shape against their lackluster competition. Khan has good length for the division and excellent speed, but that's not enough against some of the top competition he has to face at 140 lbs. And Steward doesn't really teach great defense, he just teaches taller fighters how to use their length well and have that be the defense. But in Khan's case while that might help some, he really needs to work on blocking and slipping punches, not just relying on his physical attributes. No matter how well he uses his length and speed offensively, when he takes a good shot, he gets hurt and loses those legs(and usually the fight).

Comment

Steward would be the best trainer for Khan but I think his time on top is over. His chin really has a bull'seye on it now. Wlad's chin is better than Khan's chin and his overall skills are better.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post

Any fighter who doesn't use his natural advantage is either dumb or stupid.

Said fighter seriously needs a career change.

Comment

Wladimir - Smart, Intelligent. Khan is not this. I'm not sure if Khan can change like Wladimir. Khan is a victim of his own hype. He is to naive. I'm not sure he can change like Wladimir.

He defiantly needs a new trainer. Roach will not fix his flaws. And he'll suffer more losses under him.

Comment

No one can take Khan to the top because his chin will always hold him back.

Comment

will be a much better trainer for Khan

Comment

Working...
                    X