No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins - Legendary or Overratted

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dambala View Post
    He's a legend but 20 years is too much, I have Whitaker and a few fighters over him, but I respect your opinion. He's definitely well rated right now, he's not underrated or anything like it.
    He's a blownup legend. Inflatable legend if you like. His legend status is built on victories over smaller men. Everybody knows that. He is a good technical and defensive fighter, but isn't nearly as complete as say Toney or Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
      He's a blownup legend. Inflatable legend if you like. His legend status is built on victories over smaller men. Everybody knows that. He is a good technical and defensive fighter, but isn't nearly as complete as say Toney or Jones.
      You like Toney way to much list his impressive victorys over the last ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dambala View Post
        He's a legend but 20 years is too much, I have Whitaker and a few fighters over him, but I respect your opinion. He's definitely well rated right now, he's not underrated or anything like it.
        Whitacker is close i have him up in the top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by markbnlv View Post
          Hopkins is a legend he is definetly the best fighter of the last 20 years.
          lol yeah ok. that's ridiculous when you consider Mayweather and Whitaker fought through the 80s, 90s

Comment

Originally posted by markbnlv View Post
            You like Toney way to much list his impressive victorys over the last ten years.
            Dominick Guinn, Evander Holyfield, Vassiliy Jirov, John Ruiz (yes, even!), Rahman. I thought he beat Rahman, but even a draw with a bigger and younger man of Rahman's calibe is impressive enough. Plus the first Peter fight was close.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
              I think he was the best middleweight of our era, a great technician and smart as hell. But I agree with you that he's not at Toney's or Roy's level, I'm not convinced about his victories over Oscar and Trinidad, not even that Winky fight in which he won by a headbutt, but he has a great resume.

Comment

Hopkins is an overrated US hypejob.

His 20 defenses are middleweight were nothing short of a joke. His competition wasn't just awful - it was truly some of the worst fighters I have ever seen. Calslappy fought way better opposition for his defenses.

Then you have all the huggers reciting all these 'big names' that he beat - but in reality it's a joke. I mean Tito, DLH, Pavlik and Winky? I mean come on. All these are smaller guys than Hopkins. DLH had absolutely no buisiness in the ring with Hopkins - he was far too small. Pavlik looked ****e above 160 on all occasions. Winky was a blown up welterweight along with Trinidad.

Everytime Hopkins has fought someone that isn't a bum in his own weightclass he has lost. Taylor, Jones, Calzaghe (who, alot of people forget, moved up to beat him) and some crappy club fighter at the start of his career.

Seriously, this guy is a joke. You beat him? You robbed him! You looked like ****! He didn't start fast enough!

If Calzaghe had made a career out of fighting guys like Winky, Tito and DLH he would have been crucified. Instead he actually fought some decent competition in his own weight class such as Kessler and beat them convincingly, rather than just loosing and crying about a robbery.

Also, this guy is praised for all his 'old school tricks' when infact he is just a dirty bastard that uses his head as a weapon.

Comment

Without question one of the greats but his longevity has people overrating him some.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
                    lol yeah ok. that's ridiculous when you consider Mayweather and Whitaker fought through the 80s, 90s
                    Mayweather has a lot more to prove before you can even compare the two.

Comment

The MW division was pretty weak during his reign, its true. MUCH weaker than in its prime, in the 80's. So I find people comparing him to Hagler pretty laughable!

Comment

Working...
                      X