No announcement yet.

seth mitchell vs timur ibragimov dec 10

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seth mitchell vs timur ibragimov dec 10

By James Slater: At one time it looked as though promising, exciting U.S heavyweight hope Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell would perhaps face the experienced Chazz Witherspoon on the under-card of Amir Khan-Lamont Peterson on Dec. 10th but now, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.com, it’s extremely likely the unbeaten 29-year-old with the 23-0-1(17) record will face Timur Ibragimov in his HBO debut.

According to Rafael, Richard Schaefer put forward a deal the Ibragimov camp accepted and all that is needed now is for HBO to approve the match-up. Reportedly, Schaefer expects no issues with this happening.

A good test for Mitchell, Ibragimov of Uzbekistan has never been stopped in compiling a 30-3-1(16) career and he has tangled with some top names in his time. A pro since 2000, the 36-year-old has been beaten only by Calvin Brock, Tony Thompson and, last time out, in December of last year, Jean Marc Mormeck (a split decision that many observers felt should have gone Ibragimov’s way). The 6’3.5,” approx 225-pounder has wins to his name over Timo Hoffman, Al “Ice” Cole and Oliver McCall. Not a huge puncher, Ibragimov is strong physically and he always comes to fight.

Mitchell may well find himself having the hardest fight of his still-developing pro career in December. Certainly, at the very least, Ibragimov promises to test Mitchell harder than Charles Davis, Evans Quinn and Hector Ferreyo did (Mitchell’s last three foes).

A distance fight looks likely in my opinion, but if “Mayhem” were to become the first man to halt Ibragimov he would make some statement. Not having fought for a full year, as will be the case come December, Ibragimov may be rusty and somewhat less than sharp in the early going. Will Mitchell, who can bang, look to jump right on his man, excited to make headlines in his HBO debut? Maybe, but I expect a more cautious start from the American. The second half of this one could prove very interesting.

Mitchell has yet to be taken past the 8th-round, and it is thus far unknown how his stamina will hold up in the Championship rounds. Ibragimov has gone ten or more rounds on nine occasions, and he may well be looking forward to another long night against Mitchell. Ibragimov may take Mitchell into the deep waters, and if he does we should get some answers to the question marks that are next to Mitchell - those regarding his chin and stamina especially.

An upset win for Ibragimov cannot be ruled out, but if Mitchell is as good as some good judges feel he is, he will rise to the occasion and get his 24th pro win. I’d be surprised if Ibragimov got stopped for the first time though.

should be a good fight...

Comment

Interesting test for Mitchell, stiffer than Witherspoon would have been. Will be interesting to see what happens if he can't just hurt a guy right away, and how he reacts to that.

Comment

This is a good step up for Mitchell. Ibragimov is a solid fighter who's been in with some good competition but who has fallen short of contender status. Interesting fight...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
          This is a good step up for Mitchell. Ibragimov is a solid fighter who's been in with some good competition but who has fallen short of contender status. Interesting fight...
          This is what I think. It's a good test but it probably won't catapult him into the top ten if he's victorious. It will give us a good measure of how far he came though.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcov View Post
            This is what I think. It's a good test but it probably won't catapult him into the top ten if he's victorious. It will give us a good measure of how far he came though.
            Ibragimov is a very durable fighter and has never been KO'd. If Mitchell is able to go in there and KO this guy then I'd be very impressed....

Comment

Originally posted by Marcov View Post
              ibragimov was highly ranked in WBA until he lost an eliminator to mormeck last year...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                Ibragimov is a very durable fighter and has never been KO'd. If Mitchell is able to go in there and KO this guy then I'd be very impressed....
                like you said ibragimov is very durable & i wouldn't he surprised if he slows mitchell down by tying him up, he will also try & take mitchell into the deep rounds & test his stamina. mitchell needs to be very careful that he doesn't punch himself out early. this is a big fight on an HBO undercard so let's see how these guys respond to the pressure....

Comment

It's worth noting that Ibragimov has not fought at all this year (he active last year with 5 fights). Mitchell has had three fights this year, all ending in KO...

Comment

Good fight for Mitchell. Timur is ranked no20 by boxrec.

Comment

Working...
                    X