Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Ray Leonard not considered the GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't be mad at all to label Leonard as the GOAT. The thing that works against him is his off and on career. He didn't have as many fights on his resume as most of the other greats.But some of the fighters he have on his resume are hall of famers and all time greats. I personally think that Hagler is the best Middleweight ever. In other words, I can't imagine Robinson or any other Middleweight beating him in his prime. Duran is argueably the best lightweight of all time, and Hearns is without a doubt the greatest 1 punch KO artist in welterweight history. Plus, there are not too many welterweights that could beat or stand up to Hearns right hand. Wilfred Binetez was a great welterweight as well.

So my question is, what welterweight could have beat Sugar Ray Leonard in his prime in a 15 round fight? I honestly can't think of anyone. Those that would even think that Pacquioa or Mayweather would beat Leonard obviously have never truly watched Ray fight. They are simply not in his class. They are great for this era, but truthfully that's not really saying much.

Leonard had it all. The complete fighter. He could fight at a distance and use the ring, he could fight on the inside and bang. He had a great jab, a great left hook, great uppercuts and a better than average right hand. He had great technical skills, very good defense, and a great chin and recovery abilities. What other fighter in history was more complete? If there are any, i've never saw them. It must have been way before my time. I've watched clips on Robinson and he was great. But the guys i watched him stuggle against, doesn't convince me at all that he could have beat Leonard. If he couldn't outbox you than he could out fight you and vice versa. He was a smart fighter and always in tip top shape. Plus, he had one of the best trainers of all time in his corner.

So, maybe he's not the best in a lot of peoples mind. But, please be honest and name just 5 fighters in boxing history in or near his division that would have beat him. To be honest, I can't see Manny or Floyd beating Hearns. He was too good of a boxer with a great jab and a devastating right hand. TO BE HONEST...I don't see Robinson beating Hearns!!!

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      is ray robinson that dude who fights on hbo and combs his hair after every bum he fights?
      Now see...this is the reason you can't get into serious debates on this website. There are too many people that really don't know boxing history or facts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jvsnypes View Post
        Dude, Mayweather would get destroyed by Terry Norris!!! The Leonard that fought Camacho was like the Ali that fought Holmes, over the hill and done! Floyd, Jr fights just like his dad, Floyd, sr, and we all know what Ray did to him. Lil Floyd would make it more competitive, but Ray would be too much for him as well.
        Just stop with the non-sense.

Comment

Originally posted by jvsnypes View Post
          Now see...this is the reason you can't get into serious debates on this website. There are too many people that really don't know boxing history or facts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -Deal With It- View Post
            this made me LOL

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
              Just stop with the non-sense.
              I'm not going to debate you. But name an all time great that Floyd has ever fought and then get back with me. Hell, Forget Leonard. Floyd has never stepped in the ring and fought someone with the skills of Norris. You have watched Norris in his prime right??? I doubt it!!! Just go to youtube,Bro!

Comment

Mayweather is considerably the better/greater fighter than Norris, but that's a terrible matchup in style and size for Floyd.

Norris beats Mayweather, who didn't look all that good in his lone bout above WW.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                  Sugar Ray Robinson

Willie Pep

Joe Louis

Ali

Benny Leonard

Sam Langford

And so on...

He's in the top 20 maybe 15 or so.

Definitely not #1
                  You can pur SRL in top 10, but yeah, I'd even rank Duran higher.

Robinson, Langford, Greb, Leonard and so forth are the reason why.

Comment

Originally posted by GoogleMe View Post
                    You can pur SRL in top 10, but yeah, I'd even rank Duran higher.

Robinson, Langford, Greb, Leonard and so forth are the reason why.

Leonard >>> Duran

This moment is definitive enough for me

Comment

Maybe longevity.

He retired at 26 or so then came back for a bit then retired again.

The Duran loss hurts him, also Hearns beat him the 2nd time.

But SRL is prolly the bets ive seen in my time evem though i was young as.

There simply isn't one GOAT, its opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X