Sam Langford Possibilities.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Langford Possibilities.

Possible MW title win.

There are varying reports on this fight, most saying Sam outboxed Ketchel and did not follow up on many oppurtunities in this 6 round exhibition and the decision was disputed.
    A title fight was scheduled for a later date until Ketchels abrupt death.

If Sam Langford wins this fight and the MW title (which going from their exhibition he most certainly would have.)

Lightweight Title Win

Sam Langford did win the Lightweight title from Joe Gans but, weighed 1 pound over so was not granted the title.

Welterweight Title Win.

Many fans and reporters were horrified by his Draw against Joe Walcott which, if he did win he would be granted the Welterweight title.

How would it affect his resume?

These are all almost guranteed titles had he won these would he be the general P4P No1?

This isn't even taking into account a possible HW title against Jack Johnson which though is a very, very big IF. Or the fact he could have won the LHW title had it been cared about at that point.

Note, if anyone wishes reports on the above fights, I will be happy to type them up.
    Last edited by Barn; 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM.

I think he would have beat Ketchel in the rematch but it should be noted that he was 180 lbs in the first bout/exhibition, though Ketchel weighed in a little under MW (purposefully in an effort to excuse a poor showing).

Comment

In my opinion Sam Langford is one of the greatest fighters of all time. Even at the time where blacks were not allowed to fight for THE world titles. He won the "Coloured" Mexican, Australian, and England heavweight titles. This man has fought from lightweight to heavyweight and back down again. He was 5'6" with long arms, speed, power, and great timing. He even carried his power all the way to heavyweight and remember they were only 7 weight classes then. He was dodged by some great heavyweight greats including Jack Johnson. Even though they fought prior before Johnson won the title and Johnson had a 30 pound weight advantage it was a very, very close decision. If he was given the same oppurtunity and or also if he was fighting in todays time he would be considered one the great pound for pound fighters ever......But there is one problem, somebody may see that and claim he has to be taking perfomance enhancing drugs because nobody besides me is that good.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
        I think he would have beat Ketchel in the rematch but it should be noted that he was 180 lbs in the first bout/exhibition, though Ketchel weighed in a little under MW (purposefully in an effort to excuse a poor showing).

I may be mistaken, but I believe this was an over the weight contest as no title was at stake and Lanford came in about 8 or 9lbs heavier than Ketchel.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I may be mistaken, but I believe this was an over the weight contest as no title was at stake and Lanford came in about 8 or 9lbs heavier than Ketchel.
          I'm sure I read it somewhere, though you may be right, I can't find the weights at the moment but I'll havea proper look tomorrow Jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            Possible MW title win.

There are varying reports on this fight, most saying Sam outboxed Ketchel and did not follow up on many oppurtunities in this 6 round exhibition and the decision was disputed.

If Sam Langford wins this fight and the MW title (which going from their exhibition he most certainly would have.)

Lightweight Title Win

Sam Langford did win the Lightweight title from Joe Gans but, weighed 1 pound over so was not granted the title.

Welterweight Title Win.

Many fans and reporters were horrified by his Draw against Joe Walcott which, if he did win he would be granted the Welterweight title.

These are all almost guranteed titles had he won these would he be the general P4P No1?

This isn't even taking into account a possible HW title against Jack Johnson which though is a very, very big IF. Or the fact he could have won the LHW title had it been cared about at that point.

Note, if anyone wishes reports on the above fights, I will be happy to type them up.
            I can't say for certain about these, gotta read a bit more first. As for being overweight for the Gans contest, it's Sam's responsibility, and it has always been common practice to disqualify a fighter from the championship of an overweight contender. It's very strange that Sam allowed himself to miss on the scales. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I think he could have beaten Ketchel, but Stanley had a chance in that........ As for whether his resume would have been more impressive, if he had won just one of those titles he would have a higher spot,.... if he won all three,....... he would be GOAT..... but he isn't.

Comment

Possible MW title win.

Lightweight Title Win

Welterweight Title Win.

Yes, please post the fight reports mate,...... and if you can find variable reports, post them too.............. Not all the writers back then were impartial.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                Yes, please post the fight reports mate,...... and if you can find variable reports, post them too.............. Not all the writers back then were impartial.
                Since this thread is old I can't type up the reports I had anymore as they were from the Langford book. Which I recently let a friend of mine who is a casual fan borrow, as he was intrested in it and I thought it might pique his intrest in the history, I'll get it back in about 2 weeks if you want the reports then just message me again to remind me. I also have the Joe Walcott fight report typed up somewhere.

Comment

Since this thread is old I can't type up the reports I had anymore as they were from the Langford book. Which I recently let a friend of mine who is a casual fan borrow, as he was intrested in it and I thought it might pique his intrest in the history, I'll get it back in about 2 weeks if you want the reports then just message me again to remind me. I also have the Joe Walcott fight report typed up somewhere.
                  No worries man,..... I have read some about those fights but they were very sketchy.

Comment

Working...
                  X